cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Was Tony Abbott a bully at Uni - and does it matter 30 years later anyway?

Hey guys,

Not sure if you have been following the news story this week about Tony Abbott (the federal opposition leader) being accused of intimidating a woman by punching a wall behind her when he was at Uni in the 70s. He has denied that the incident happened, but several witnesses have come forward saying it did. 

I just wondered if everything thinks it relates to whether he is a good person to run our country 30 years later? Even if he did do it, can you judge someone on something they did 30 years ago? 

I am not a big fan of Tony Abbott or his politics myself AT ALL... but I do wonder if it is fair to bring up something that happened that long ago.

What do you think about it all? 

Re: Was Tony Abbott a bully at Uni - and does it matter 30 years later anyway?

Can't say I'm a fan of Tony Abbott at all...but I do think a person's past shouldn't be used to define who they are now. But then again, if someone was a bully then...

If it's true then as a stand alone incident I don't think it makes him a bully, a single incident doesn't make anyone a bully or else most people would be classed as one. If there are more examples then it may be a different story.

I think it's only fair to scrutinise his past behaviour as much as he does his rivals, otherwise I find it entirely irrelevant. 30 years is a long time to have made no character changes. 

What I do find relevant is how he (and all politicians) behave now and any form of bullying behaviour they are demonstrating. If you want to label someone as a bully, they have to currently be one, not just a previous bully - believe it or not bullies are capable of maturing as well.

@Birdeye wrote:

If it's true then as a stand alone incident I don't think it makes him a bully, a single incident doesn't make anyone a bully or else most people would be classed as one. If there are more examples then it may be a different story.

I very much agree. Thirty years is a very long time ago.

So I think the mroe relevant question is not whether he conducted the incident himself but whether or not he is telling the truth or lying about it.

i really dislike tony abbott just purely because he doesnt really stand for anything , just stand against  things like the carbon tax and stuff like that . just because he going to a uni with people in there early to mid 20's which are the hardest to get on side doesnt really mean much

It would be good to rephrase this differently without Tony Abbott (though he's very topical right now!) : 

If you were bullied by someone in high school and hadn't seen them for thirty years, would you still consider them a bully until they proved otherwise? Or would you treat them as though they'd already changed their ways, until they demonstrated bullying behaviour again?

@Lex wrote:

If you were bullied by someone in high school and hadn't seen them for thirty years, would you still consider them a bully until they proved otherwise? Or would you treat them as though they'd already changed their ways, until they demonstrated bullying behaviour again?

I've never been bullied (nor have I lived long enough for anything to be from 30 years ago Smiley Tongue) so I can't be certain but I think I'd remember them as a bully, certainly think back of them as 'my bully', but I wouldn't assume them to still be a bully. I don't think I'd have any more opinion on their current character than anyone else from high school.

So they'd be cemented in my mind as my bully until they redeemed themselves.

If I had to describe them to someone, I'd talk of my memory of their bullying with warning that it was 30 years ago.

@Lex wrote:

It would be good to rephrase this differently without Tony Abbott (though he's very topical right now!) : 

hmmm as someone who was tormented at school (/s) i'd like to comment on this.

i was bullied because like most humans i was different, red hair and a learning disablity. makes you stick out like a sore thumb .

most of my harrasers where teachers and adults some children as well.

now i think having 10 years since primary and 6 since highschool is a long enough time to have a judge on it. 

a bully to me will always be a bully. however a child is different to a adult, a teacher , a person of power ( ie classroom teacher 5 year old child. yeap never could stand up to a teacher) I do not blame children nor give them a bully tag, I just treat them with caution. however the adults that tormented me I treat as bullies. a child needs to be cared for and not harassed picked on our bullied by the one "adult" in the class. I have met some of my "harrassers" the few children who bullied me have turned out in 3 ways

- pregant ( all girls high school)

- bitter ( that one found me on facebook i love the block button for solving that one Smiley Happy )

- progressive people who inspire me, whom i keep in touch with.

as for the adults.

they never changed ( shame to say) I found this one out on my reunion ( only reason they asked me to come was beacuse the found out i was a "successful artist", no thanks to them.) I was glad my partner came and put them back in there place with a cleaverly worded remark. which soon after we left.

i think thats a indept helpful response.

could he suffer form a case of "past actions predict future behaviour"