cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Which country are u from and what religion do u follow! :D Go diversity! :D

I was born in Scotland, lived in a couple different parts of England then in 2008 I moved to Australia Smiley Very Happy yesterday was actually our 5th anniversary of living here, and I'm still not Australian haha, but when I do get my Australian passport I get to keep my British one, which is cool because it has a unicorn on it :3 And I'm sort of a deist, but a little unsure. A deist, for anyone who doesn't know, is someone who thinks that a higher being, like a god, exists but relies on fact and science instead of books/literature/stories, so we don't particularly follow one religion (:

Heyhey Pikapika Smiley Very Happy

Wow, you're scottish, cool Smiley Happy

It's cool to follow more than one religion Smiley Tongue ehheh

hey all 
my mums from portugal and my dads from spain 

Interesting... JJR mate Smiley Tongue It's cool to have parents who are from different countries, makes life more interesting Smiley Wink

hey, i was born in Kenya but spent most of my life here, in Australia, we occasionally go back to visit family.

I'm Christian and proud of it!

Great to see all the diversity all round guys Smiley Happy.

@pikapika: I've never heard of deist but it closely resembles what I think!
@Hollowcat: Awesome to hear that! People should not have to feel ashamed of what they believe in.

I was born in Australia, but my father, and both my grandfathers are Irish, my Dad was born in county Down, but my family are from Clare. Our ancestors are descendants of the royalty in the Munster Province. My mum and the women in my family are born in Australia for four generations, who originally came from Ireland, and all of the girls married Irish boys.

So I was raised as a Catholic, even though my Dad is an atheist. I grew up rejecting the traditional religions, and the concept of God, but became interested in ancient religions. The one I most strongly relate to is Taoism, but I have also learned a great deal from Irish Mythology and the House of the Sidhe.

Hey @tesla-weapon 

That sounds really interesting, can you tell me more about Taoism, Irish Mythology and the House of the Sidhe? 

Well, I'm no expert, but I will try.

Taoism, and their followers, Taoist, are students of "The Way". There is an old text called "Tao te Ching" by Lao Tzu, which translates to "Book of the Way" by the Old Master. Its Chinese in origin, and its the religion behind most kung-fu.

In the text, it describes the way the Old Master sees the universe in a whole lot of little poems. Little pieces of sage advice, about nature, and the heavens. There is no talk of a god, only that the universe naturally follows the way, which is like a path. If everybody followed the way, then you would be closer to nature, closer to the universe, closer to the heavens, and closer to the way. It also describes yin and yang, concepts which most westerners no doubt have heard of. It provides insight into the human condition, and sets out a way to live contentedly. I'm not sure I'm doing a very good job of explaining it here. You should read it if it piques your interest.

The House of the Sidhe (Pronounced Sith, like in Star Wars) are the faerie folk. Beings who inhabited Ireland before the Milesians. It is said that they come from another realm. They can take human shape, and will enter our realm when it pleases them. They have great powers of magic, and are not to be trifled with. There are many stories from Irish Folklore about clashing with the fae, and of heroes visiting their realm, sometimes called the Other Side.

But a lot of the old Irish ways are forgotten or lost. There are bits and pieces about Druids, and adhering to natures way, much in the same fashion as the Tao.

These ideas sit very nicely with what I believe existence to be like. The Tao talks about heaven and sages, and the Irish talk about another realm and the Sidhe. They both speak about harmony and balance with nature, and there is much said about our bodies being magical vessels, capable of containing a spirit, with multiple forms of energy. They both talk about harnessing the energy to attain a greater state of awareness. As well as lots of other neat stuff.

Australia and I'm not religious. Actually, I'm an atheist, but that's not a religion.