cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: Writers Thread!

@November13 

I'm in my gap year at the moment, so I'm no longer in school and I'm still not sure if this is what i wanna do lol. So everyone out there in high school don't feel like you gotta have it all figured out.

Anyway, thank you!  I will keep writing.

Highlighted

@indieinsanus I think one poet I really admire is Margaret Atwood! I just really like the atmosphere she creates although I haven't tried to replicate it just yet. My favourite poem is Sekhmet- the lion-headed goddess of war which is about an Egyptian goddess. It's so cool that you want to go into human rights- there's a lot of opportunities for advocacy work and is something I've been interested in in my law degree! Publishing a creative piece of work is definitely possible too and they don't need to be mutually exclusive! 

@Bre-RO that's awesome that you've had the opportunity to write ReachOut articles- is there any way that any of us could get involved in that?

Highlighted

Great question @StormySeas17! We can't make any promises, but definitely something we can keep in mind to recommend to our content team when they are making more articles. Are there any key topics you would be interested in writing about or co-writing?

We might also be able to make some opportunities for you to write up content pieces for the forums too on topics that are important to the community Smiley Happy

Check out our community activities calendar here
Highlighted

@Jess1-RO Hmm I was thinking maybe some more anecdotal articles with some sort of clinical backing? For example, someone talks about their experiences and then you have some information to explain their feelings and why their concerns appear in that situation or that illness. For me personally validation is something that I really needed to find online when I was first learning about my diagnosis, which is bipolar that I take medication for. Both coming to terms with the diagnosis and also getting on top of medication were pretty hard! There's also been some amazing threads here about perfectionism and anxiety. I also really like the top tips ones! 

Yes I'd be happy to do that! I'm just trying to understand my routine vs ReachOut's routines with GRs and such but I'd love to help out Smiley Happy

Highlighted

Great topic suggestions. Completely agree that balance of professional knowledge and lived experience is very powerful and a huge part of recovery! Smiley Happy I know @Bre-RO works closely with our content team and might have more insights around the topics they are working on atm or in the near future.

Yay! We will have some opportunities to help with forums content coming up, and for discussions that aren't time restricted like the live chats but more open and flexible with time Smiley Happy I will contact you when we have scoped some options Smiley Very Happy

Check out our community activities calendar here
Highlighted

That's a really cool idea @StormySeas17  - at the moment the content team will do personal stories like this, where they will have info but also a memoir or video.  As well as the more "clinical" backed pieces. But I will pass your idea on and see if there's anything we can do with that idea because I think it's gold. 

We also include quotes from certain discussions we have here on the forums and put them in articles as well. So, that could be something fun to be apart of in the future too! 

Highlighted

I'm just curious, do a lot of writers here have a writing routine that they follow? Or do you just write when you feel like it? 

I have been writing this idea out, but I have no routine, I just write when it comes to me, so sometimes I don't write for days or weeks, and then other days I write a lot. It just comes in bursts. I have seen that some authors take around 6 months to a year to finish a book. But I get the feeling my first draft won't be finished for like a couple years lol.

Highlighted

Hey @indieinsanus sorry for the late reply! I personally have been awful with my writing at the moment and have been sidelining it for now. I think that it really depends on the person. Some people say you need to write a minimum of 300 words a day to be productive. Other people I think take out massive chunks of time to do it, maybe a whole evening or day at once. Is there a writing schedule that you would have as a goal that you can work towards?

And don't feel bad about authors getting books done so fast! They do it for a living after all- it's their full time job Smiley LOL Many of us just don't have the time or experience to be that productive!

Highlighted

@StormySeas17Yeah, its a little daunting to see people writing to so well and fast lol. But no, I don't really have a goal in mind. I would like to write more often and feel more motivated to write, but I'm personally not a huge fan of routine.