cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Your top 3 favourite fictional books or short stories on mental health ?

Hi everyone,

I'm well on my way towards finishing my second mental health oriented book and I'm loving it, so I'm interested in finding out if what are your favourite fictional books on mental health?

P.S. the current one I'm reading now is called "Its kind of a funny story" by Ned Vizzini and the previous one was called "So much to tell you"

Re: Your top 3 favourite fictional books or short stories on mental health ?

I don't think I've actually read many fiction about mental health (which considering the amount of YA and LGBT books I read, I should start reading more!)

But I have read "It's Kind of a Funny Story" and quite liked it. I think because the author had an event like what happened in the story, it was well written. If you consider Holden Caulfield having an underlying mental health issue then "The Catcher in the Rye" J. D. Salinger was amazing.

Girl interrupted is a great book, though it's not fictional. It's about a persons experience with bpd.
===========================
Trying to make my misery
just a piece of my history
A little less victim a little more victory
-Icon for Hire

I hope this fits the category but...

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night time by Mark Haddon is awesome. It's a crime novel written from the perspective of a 15 year old boy with Aspergers.

I loved it.

I saw the movie based on 'It's Kind Of a Funny Story', it was really good!

I haven't read many (fiction) books on mental health, but I suppose Shakespeare's Hamlet could fall into this category. it doesn't talk about mental health in any specific way, but it's pretty clear that Hamlet is not  'mentally healthy'...

Magician by Raymond E. Feist

1Q84 by Haruki Murakami

Paper Towns by John Green

Grave Peril by Jim Butcher

My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult

Ohhhhhhh!!!

@redhead I looooooooove Girl, Interrupted! Both the movie and the book are A+ (seriously though, both book and movie are in my top 5)

@Magga  I really enjoyed the movie 'It's Kind Of A Funny Story'?? It's great. But as a book lover, I totally recommend the book. (the author, Ned Vizzini, was so talented)

@Pris All the John Green novels just mess with my emotions. Did you enjoy Paper towns?

As for me.... hmmm..

Most of Ellen Hopkins' novels do deal with some kind of mental illness (although some of the books are quite dark and triggering)... But she's still one of my favourite authors.

ALSO

The Perks of being a Wallflower. I loved the book, I first read it a fair few years before the movie came out. I was so excited that it was going to made into a movie. Eeeeeeeeee, still one of my faves! 10/10 would recommend !

I loved that book too @NigioC ! I thought it was so fascinating to see into his mind because he thinks so differently. I loved the part where he figured out that massive multiplying question - I've tried to remember the process he used to do it. Smiley LOL

A little while ago I read the Perks of Being a Wallflower. I think it's very well written and definitely has a lot of detail in the emotions - I found myself feeling just as depressed as Charlie and completely confused about the ending which probably isn't a good thing I guess, but it just shows that the author wrote it very well. The story meant a lot to me because I know someone who's gone through the same thing as him.