cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [CHAT]: RUOK? What to say if someone says "nope"

Just go and ask them, sometimes you may need to ask them more than once. Often the first time you ask they might just give a standard answer but by the second or third time you ask them they may be more open to giving a response.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Whatever it takes I know I can make it through!
Highlighted

One thing that my friends have done for me in the past when I've been going through a really tough time is tell me they are picking me up for a coffee in 30 minutes - 1 hour, so I don't have any time to change my mind. Then once we get to the café they ask me how I am feeling and then go tell me everything. A change in environment helps and by them making the effort to take me out for coffee it showed me that they cared so I was more open to talking to them.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Whatever it takes I know I can make it through!

How do you ask someone if they're okay?

Finding the right time and space to ask someone this can be a really tricky thing to do. However having worries about saying something wrong shows that you really care which will show through if you do ask someone. I think letting the person know that you are there to talk and support them if they need to is the most important thing Heart

How do you ask someone if they're okay?

Yep, i agree, with @ErinsAntics just asking works pretty well Smiley Happy 
If you're not sure about that, you could say something that lets them know why you're asking like "i noticed that you've been looking pretty upset lately". 

You can also help someone feel more comfortable about being able to say they're not okay. 

Like you could say " it's okay if you're not okay, i just want to let you know i'm here for you if you wanna chat about it" 

Heya everyone Smiley Happy I might be a bit off and on tonight, but hi Smiley Tongue

Good Evening everyone!

Taliah here or TPayne which is on my number plates =)
So I am an Ambassador with RUOK and honestly love spreading the message of RUOK. I honestly think the message and tools are simple and bring everything back to basics.

So I am here tonight in my home office/little sisters bedroom, chatting to you guys from Perth and can't wait to get into this discussion with you!

Get on board, ask the hard questions and lets all get a better understanding of what we need, want and hope for when we are trying to find a healthier happier version of us.

@anastasia_ruok in here! Smiley Happy 

Why is it important to ask this question? 

Also its fine if people don't open up at first, sometimes it can take more than one question to get the answer, but if they shut you down once, maybe change up the environment, maybe something more cozy or private, or ambush them and say, lets go for a walk, or insert yourself in one of there hobbies.
I love what my family do, they push there way into my house and just sit on the couch and watch TV with me when I isolate myself, they don't ask anything, they just say "Hi - what you watching" and they spend a couple of hours just sitting there, and then make me tea, and smile and then watch tv, and then when they see me relaxed - they ask the question from a genuine place of concern - everyone is different - but find out what they like doing and gently come from the side and say - you've been on my mind. Is something bothering you? and what is it, im here for you..