cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [CHAT]: RUOK? What to say if someone says "nope"

How do you ask someone if they're okay?

I'd make sure that it's a pretty chill and casual convo and make sure I have the energy and time to chat to the person if the answer is no.

Also hello @TPayne!

For me these are why it is important to ask the question:
1.) You do not know what is going on with someone until you ask (Never assume, makes an ass out of U and ME;
2.) You could end up giving a person/friend a resource they never knew existed or give them an option or way out they never saw before;
3.) You could be the last line of defence and change someone's mind at a critical moment, or even at a time when they were having bad thoughts so it breaks the thought and doesn't allow it to sustain or cause harm;
4.) You could save a life - everyone's life is important

Hi everyone, so sorry I'm late. I had some family issues that arised, looking forward to catching up☺️

@TPayne wrote:
Never assume, makes an ass out of U and ME;

hahaha i love that saying 

So great to have you here @honky Smiley Happy 

Why is it important to ask this question? 

I think it's important to ask because it can make someone feel less isolated and like someone actually cares about them.  Checking in with people can also make them feel like their worth it and might encourage them to ask for help more if they know there's someone out there who has cared enough to spend their time and energy having a chat as well.

How do you ask someone if they're okay?

I usually ask them straight out and then get the generic answer of fine, to which I usually reply, “No, really, how are you?” That’s when they know that I am actually interested in how they are going and not just asking a rhetoric question.

This usually then involves me explaining why I’m actually asking and it usually has something to do with the way they are behaving of late. So perhaps a certain look in their eye, they don’t seem like their usual self, they seem really nervous about something or just seems off about them.

Why is it important to ask this question?

Because people don’t want to feel like a burden, so they bottle everything up instead of talking about it. So if they know that you genuinely care about how they are, they are more likely to open up to you, in which you can help them based on what they have told you. Sometimes you don’t need to take the conversation any further but other times they may need to seek professional help.

My entire life can be described in one sentence: It didn't go as planned and that's okay. ツ

@honky glad you could join us! Smiley Happy @TPayne totally agree - great points.

@FootyFan26 yeah definitely - asking them could be the reminder that they needed to seek support Smiley Happy

How to ask someone if they are ok:
1- Are you ready to have this conversation with someone?
2 -Make sure its private and they are not around people and you are both comfortable;
3- Ask the question and listen....
or
1 - Are you ready & willing?
2- Give them a foot massage, and ask the question
or
1 - Are you ready & willing?
2- Make them a hot chocolate and buy them chocolates and sit down and eat their chocolates with them and ask the question

What I am trying to say - it depends on the person and the relationship you have with them, if you know them well, do something a little unexpected and show them that you care by action and then verbalise the question...