cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Friday 3rd May: Live guest Bart from Livewire

it is sad that there are many paeople who do have to spend so much time in hospital but it warms my heart the way you talk about their resilience and their own abilities @Bart-Livewire it must be pretty special to see sometimes.
**NEVER be afraid to ask for help because you're WORTH it!**

@scared01 that's a good question. I don't believe there's anything like Livewire for those above 21, though Reach Out and similar organisations are doing fantastic work. Can I get back to you on this question? I'll do some research and let Gina know if I find anything.

@WheresMySquishy  that is a beautiful reflection. Heart

I love what you've said about resilience @Bart-Livewire - it is really mind blowing to see the potential of people to survive the things life throws at them. 

Thank you @scared01 - it is a very challenging illness, and something i struggle with everyday. The balancing act is real . You've said it perfectly about the good and bad days - the illness is always there, but sometimes it plays up more than others! Couldn't agree more with you - learning that it's absolutely a-okay to not be strong all the time. 

I think for me being chronically ill, has taught how to sit with pain and struggle, and not have to fix it. Acceptance is a massive part of being unwell. 

that would be great @Bart-Livewire thank you
yes RO is pretty amazing

acceptance is HUGE @gina-RO very good point and not an easy one to practice

Living with a chronic health condition is really tough. It can take a huge toll on your mental health, for some people to the point of feeling like life loses meaning. If you experience a chronic health condition it is so important to get support for your mental health as well as your physical health.  You can also access support 24/7 from one of these services  if you ever need support for strong feelings, or thoughts- particularly if you have thoughts of ending your life. 

@Bart-Livewire we had a question come through with some details about someone's personal experience with chronic illness. It came from someone who has been diagnosed with Complex Regional Pain Syndrome (CRPS) as well as Functional Neurological Disorder (FND), and is having thoughts of ending their life.

I have posted the question in full over here  to get community support. 

If the person who submitted the question is reading this, please go to the other thread for support, and we also recommend calling Suicide Call Back service on 1300 659 467,  to chat these thoughts through in depth.  Trigger warning for others in this chat re the full question. 

As Bart is not able to hear more about your experience and have a 1:1 conversation with you, it is really important that you get this over the phone, or in person from a psychologist or counsellor. 

Bart has seen the question in full - would you like to give a brief answer?

I agree @gina-RO! I think acceptance can be really helpful for a lot of people who are chronically ill. Sometimes we need to change our attitude, make adjustments and learn to actively self-manage our conditions rather than wanting the problem to be fixed completely.

Sending respect and love to every person fighting a chronic or serious illness ( and sticking to the adventure time gif theme set by @ecla34 ) 

giphy (5).gif

While we wait for that one which I know needs more of a considered answer - I am aware that we are coming near the end of our chat, and I think it's a perfect time to ask this next question: 

With all the joys and wonderful things you learn and people you get to meet, I can imagine you'd also experience your own share of pain and sadness from the work you do. 

How do you look after yourself while doing this work?

And kind of related

What is your favourite genre of music? 

For those of you chatting with us, how do you self-care after supporting someone else? AND what's your favourite genre of music? 

Thanks for this last question @gina-RO and the person asking it. It's a tough one, but something many people with chronic illness deal with at some time.

I’m sorry to hear about your ill health. Firstly, it’s not your fault. Not one bit. It sounds hugely challenging for you and your family and I won’t suggest for one minute it’s easy or that there’s a formula or something specific that will help. But I can say that I’ve met and worked with many people in similar positions, who felt there was nothing more they could do, or were in such a hard position it was impossible to see any change in the future. But change does come, and I understand it doesn’t come for everyone, but it comes for many and it did come for the patients I’ve just mentioned. I could give you many stories, but I’ll leave you with one. 

I worked with a young girl with major head injuries from a car accident, in which she lost all of her family. She spent over a year in hospital, recovering and with originally no hope. After a huge journey, she left hospital, well and being looked after by distant family, and I’ve seen her since, after visiting hospital two years later and she was happy. I’m sorry I can’t give you much more than that but I think there’s always hope and good luck with your journey.