cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: INFOBUS JULY 26th 2018: Getting to know the ReachOut Online Community Team and Peer Support

totally @lokifish, everyone has their own path with education and there are so many different entry points and ways to education out there! It's important people know they have options Smiley Happy

With the coins - My favourite coin would be the round 50c coins. My grandfather collected them and passed them down to me and they are so amazing.

Did you know we have new Community Guidelines? You can check them out here

Re: INFOBUS JULY 26th 2018: Getting to know the ReachOut Online Community Team and Peer Support

@Jess1-RO YES! I have found that! It is so empowering to discover that the person supporting you has been there before, it also gives me a role model to aspire to and look up to which I find really helps me too Smiley Happy

@lokifish off the top of my head I have no idea, I have coins hidden in places everywhere... I should probably buy an album to put them in! LOL

Remember you're amazing just as you are Heart

Ok I didn't even realise round 50 cent coins were a thing... they look so cool! Smiley Very Happy

What was my first role in the mental health field? What was it like starting out?

In a volunteer position, my first role was as a public speaker and consumer representative/advocate. I would go to hospitals, schools and universities talking about my experiences with mental health, where people can go for support and how to start a conversation about mental health. I sat on committees with mental health services and provided advice on how they could make their youth services better for families and young people who accessed them.

In a paid position, my first role in mental health was a Peer Educator. This role was providing education and peer support to community members who came to the centre for weekly groups and training. I really enjoyed using my lived experience to connect with people accessing the courses and supporting them to set and achieve their learning and recovery goals.

My first roles were really about sharing my experiences and at first this was quite nerve racking.

Overtime I became more confident and comfortable speaking up. I learnt how valuable and necessary the voice of lived experience is in decision making.

Couldn't agree more with the comments regarding education @Jess1-RO Smiley Happy

@lokifish yes they are! I had some a while back but I lost them...

Remember you're amazing just as you are Heart

@Jess1-RO that's a really important point about nerves. I think we often forget how difficult it is when we first start sharing our story with people... it takes time to embrace the vulnerability it creates Smiley Happy

What is great about starting work in mental health is that there are so many ways you can go! A lot of peer workers I know start off doing peer support in communities like this, are advocates and representatives or wanted to share their story more broadly. Of course there are also clinical routes too. There are so many options for people interested in working in mental health Smiley Happy

Highlighted

That's so impressive @Jess1-RO and BRAVE! Speaking at public events about your lived experience is not easy! Kudos to you. How long have you been working in this field for now?