cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: INFOBUS September 27th 2018: Getting to know the ReachOut Online Community Team with Amirah

I love that question @Jess1-RO !
Keen to know your answer @Amirah-RO Smiley Happy

Re: INFOBUS September 27th 2018: Getting to know the ReachOut Online Community Team with Amirah

It sounds like the job kind of found you! @Amirah-RO
Suicide prevention is so important I loved the ASIST program, do you think it's a good program to raise awareness?

It's so great that you are so open to new things and are enjoying it @Amirah-RO Smiley Very Happy

@missep definitely! ASSIST is great. And I think it's so important that it's delivered to all sorts of people, not just those working in the field of mental health and service delivery. Have you done the training?

So beautifully said @Amirah-RO!

I really love this: "I just thought RO was pretty incredible and their organisational values resonated with me". 

Can you tell us a bit more about the roles you have been in before coming to RO? You mentioned you were involved in more holistic service delivery - We'd love to hear more!

Did you know we have new Community Guidelines? You can check them out here
Highlighted

Thank you @annabethxchase yes, I would say that the job kinda found me Smiley Happy

I totally agree! I did! It turns out that @gina-RO and I did the same training on the same day but we didn't know it at the time haha.
I felt like it broke a lot of stereotypes that people think of like if you talk about suicide then it increases the risk and that you can say things in your own way that can help the person.
I keep the little handheld guide in my wallet at all times just in case Smiley Happy

ASIST is really great @missep, a lot of the RO team have done this training and found it really helpful Smiley Happy

What a co-incidence @missep!

@Jess1-RO Sure Smiley Happy I completed a Bachelor of Social Work in 2009 (a long long time ago!) and since then have worked across gov and Ngo, always with young people. I worked at Juvenile Justice, Youth Connections in casework and most recently managed a program for Youth off the Streets in South West Sydney. Most of my roles involved casework, I had a caseload of anywhere from 10-70 depending on the role! I really love working intensively with individuals rather than touch and go type support. One thing I love about casework is that you get to walk alongside clients through it all, whether it's homelessness, family breakdown, financial distress, mental health concerns etc... it really gives you insight which helps build empathy... and trust. Trust is so important. 

I absolutely love working with young people because no matter what life throws at them or what hardships they face, they are resilient AF and I find that inspirational!