cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: INFOBUS RETURNS! 24th May -All things job hunting and employment [Special Guest]

@j95 Mental health is very common in the work place and many employers are across this. there is plenty of support out there to assist not only yourself on the job but also the employers as well if needed. Never let your barriers hold you back on the job you want to apply for, they do not decide for you Smiley Happy

Highlighted

Re: INFOBUS RETURNS! 24th May -All things job hunting and employment [Special Guest]

I really like what @ErinsAntics said about turning any weakness into a positive - brings that question into a whole new light.

I’ve been to a couple of job interviews and I’ve stuffed them up haha. One thing I will say is from an applicant’s point of view, I personally don’t appreciate it when the workplace ignores the application completely. I understand they would be time-poor, but I would prefer to have an application at least acknowledged, even if it is weeded out pretty quickly. Am I being unreasonable here?

@mrmusic 

that is really frustrating - not hearing back can be super disheartening Smiley Sad 

Yeah for sure @SamK1008 im so glad I let him know because he has been awesome to me, understands if I need an extra day off or have to go early, or is just there if I’m struggling. There is this massive poster in the office at my work and it says something like 

Do you need a mental health break? And has all this helpful stuff on it. I think all workplaces should have little reminders like that, helps if you are struggling already but also helps to check in with yourself so you think oh how am I really? Do I need to talk to someone? 

I

//You can stay afraid, or slit the throat of fear and be brave//

That’s such a good thing @j95. Would be nice if things like that were in every workplace!

How can we keep the anxieties/nerves at bay during a job interview?

breathing techniques are a good start, always think positive and remain calm. give yourself time to answer questions as it does not need to be rushed.

When employers ask for your top weaknesses, is that a trick question or should I be honest? -

It's not a trick question, generally employers would like to see what areas you need development and will make a decision on whether they are able to help you develop your weaknesses or not. it's important to be honestI

@mrmusic I am similar I find it frustrating when you don't hear back about an application you've sent in. Or what annoys me is when you have an interview and they don't even both to tell you that you were unsuccessful! Smiley Sad

@j95 that is awesome! I think every workplace should definitely have a poster like that somewhere, like the staff room or something

Remember you're amazing just as you are Heart

Yeah I’m pretty lucky! There was a time about 18 months ago where things were so awful for me I needed quite a bit of time to get back on my feet and get to work, he was so understanding and really worked with me to start feeling better, starting with half days then eventually back to full time. I’m very lucky as my industry of work is known as one that isn’t always accepting of mental health struggles.

I understand that not all bosses are this nice either
//You can stay afraid, or slit the throat of fear and be brave//

hmmm sounds like you may need to speak to the HR team? if you feel that they had let you go without notice or any apparent reason then you might need to take it further, you could always speak to a union as well.

@SamK1008 - great strategies! 

I like what you said about taking your time. If you have to pause in the interview it probably shows that you care about your answer! 
Also I get the general consensus that everyone is nervous and anxious in interviews - and the interviewers would know this too! They probably expect to see a bit of nerves - shows you care about the job. 

And so true about being honest!