cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: INFOBUS RETURNS! 24th May -All things job hunting and employment [Special Guest]

hi @cj123 and @PewterWV2
Feel free to jump in with your experiences on job hunting, and interviews , or questions! 

Re: INFOBUS RETURNS! 24th May -All things job hunting and employment [Special Guest]

@Bee very simple. I stopped thinking that I needed them. rather, they needed me. that alone gave me confidence but also starting ice breaker questions with them, breaking down the barriers and just being as real as could. I'm not saying that it worked with everyone, but it help me knowing that I went into an interview and I was completely myself. I owned it! and so should you Smiley Happy Smiley Happy

Highlighted

Ok we have a question around referees, which can be tricky for a lot of reasons: 

What do you do if you didn’t do well in your previous job so don’t have a referee? 

Would can you do here @SamK1008?

You could use a family friend as a reference?? or a teacher? Someone you volunteered under like through placement maybe? A coach?
Are you allowed to use an employer before the previous one?
I think it depends on what they want too, sometimes they only want professional references
//You can stay afraid, or slit the throat of fear and be brave//

@SamK1008 @Bee 
I like that idea, and couldn't agree more, that you don't need them, they need you! 
That's so true -  you are an asset to a workplace, and they really need you there to help them! 

@gina-RO References don't necessarily need to be from a previous employer, they can also be given by a friend, a family member, a teacher or anyone else that would be able to answer any questions about yourself and your qualities.

Also be aware that constructive criticism is good for personal development. so if you didn't do too well in your previous job, it might be worth your while to contact them and ask them what you could improve on for future.

@j95 - so many good ideas about where to go for referees!!!!

A teacher, or coach area really good ones if you haven't got a lot of work experience, or didn't have a good relationship with your previous manager. 

A colleague is a good option too - as long as you're honest about them being a colleague. 

I'll try to remember that @gina-RO @SamK1008

Remember you're amazing just as you are Heart

@SamK1008 - thank you so much for all of your answers so far! This is such a practical subject that can feel really daunting, so we really appreciate the discussion and insights. 
We've got about another half hour to go - and a few more questions, but everyone please feel free to share your own experiences, challenges and questions as we go! 

So we've had a few questions about once you've moved past the interview, and gotten a new job  - it can be so daunting for people to start a job, whether it's a first job, or in a new sector, or just the fact that it's a new environment with strangers! 

Someone asked: 

How can I be "professional"? What does that even mean??

and another: 

How do you recommend navigating a new workplace when you feel out of your depth?

For me, being “professional” refers to the way you interact with others. I think probably the first thing I would do to be professional would be to work out where the appropriate boundaries between a professional colleague and personal friends (of course, a person could be both, but just be mindful), and also in some cases between a colleague and a client. I also believe making sure you dress appropriately and communicate with others appropriately (especially written communication).