cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: INFOBUS RETURNS! 24th May -All things job hunting and employment [Special Guest]

Absolutely they are a reliable source. As intimidating as it sounds, you MAY be up against quite a few people but the likelihood of the employer not reviewing your application is very slim. It would also be a matter of whether your skills and attributes are what the employers are looking for. so it's always good to have your resume and cover letter up to scratch where it compliments the job you are applying for.

Re: INFOBUS RETURNS! 24th May -All things job hunting and employment [Special Guest]

yeah exactly, even for me, i have a job but being a tradie i always see posts from people asking just for one or two days help for cash, i dont mind because its all connections and meeting new people you can work for or alongside or give you more knowledge
//You can stay afraid, or slit the throat of fear and be brave//

This has already been mentioned, but a lot of it really depends on the size of the organisation too - so a small business in the Main Street, you might phone or go in store, but a bigger organisation/company it might be best to look on their ‘Positions Vacant’ on their website if it’s there.

Interviews! 

@SamK1008 so more of a personal decision around disclosing mental ill-health  - it can be a scary thing to do ! Thats awesome @j95 that your workplace has been accomodating - that often might be the case, that disclosing can lead to you getting more support. 

We've had quite a few questions about interviews -  I might ask them together here

How can we keep the anxieties/nerves at bay during a job interview?

When employers ask for your top weaknesses, is that a trick question or should I be honest? -

Keen to hear everyone's experiences of interviews too! They can be tough to navigate!

@SamK1008 on the subject of declaring mental illness...
I have had a bad experience with this in the workplace, where the manager said she was fine with it, however, I noticed things changed afterwards, and eventually it lead to them firing me without warning and on a false basis...
One thing that was really hard was finding time for appointments for my mental health... How would be best to go about it?

Remember you're amazing just as you are Heart

That's correct @j95. some small businesses don't advertise online. It's always a good idea to introduce yourself to your future employer and build rapport with them as it will leave a good impression.

if im honest, i absolutely stuffed up my interview/trial day at my current workplace when asked about what im good at, because i couldnt think of anything, so i said i have initative, then they asked me what i needed to work on and i said initiative hahahaha
but i got the job, i think employers can sometimes understand nerves can get the bettrer of people
//You can stay afraid, or slit the throat of fear and be brave//

In terms of the weakness question I just be honest and say I have low self confidence (which I do due to bullying all through my schooling) but then turn it into a positive and say it makes me more teachable and I'm going to ask more questions if I'm unsure on things. 

I also bribe myself to get through job interviews, so after each interview I reward myself with chocolate or buying something nice Smiley Happy 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Whatever it takes I know I can make it through!

Absolutely @gina-RO

There are some companies that have an influx of applications therefore they would have a system in place to filter through and depending on HR requirements they may have to ask certain questions. The formalities would be handled through a team.

as opposed to a small business where you are dealing directly with the owner, it's an easier process most times.

@ErinsAntics I love that about the chocolate!!! 
Interviews are stressful - you definitely deserve a little reward after surviving one! 

My dad used to tell me that a bad interview, is just good practice for a better interview later! No wasted time! 

I think that's such a good answer too Erin  - being honest about your weakness but turning it into a positive. Every weakness can be a positive for sure!