cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [INFOBUS] Sex & relationships

totally agree rose1234 that online talking online is just another avenue of communication so if a relationship is unhealthy of course it will be online too. but its not the technology that causes problematic behaviour, but for those who are not respectful it gives them another avenue to be disrespectful... does that make sense?

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

Agreed dreamer, about boundaries online - plus I have watched too many episodes of Catfish!!!

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

Thanks Sophie, what about in situations where a relationship is great online but say they are really shy in person to each other. I know this happened a lot when i was a bit younger

These are all great points!

Same !!!! Sophie

Catfish is a great show, it's one thing that includes all the things we are talking about with dating online, photos, ect, catfish has showed me a lot of things to watch out for with people even if you aren't trying to date people.

rose1234, I think people have started growing up online now, and are simply more comfortable talking online, making offline conversations, maybe feel awkward? Not sure.
Highlighted

How do you know what is a safe relationship online? What steps can you take in order to keep yourself safe when interacting with other people online? What things could you do to ensure you feel respected and that your personal information/images were being protected?

I guess you don't, to be blunt. With anonymity comes great power and we don't like to think about it but anyone can catfish.

In terms of protecting yourself though, you can set profiles to private where applicable and scrutinise those you allow to see your stuff. On platforms where you can't hide, or it takes away from the experiences to do so (eg. Tumblr) you just have to be careful to either a) maintain your anonymity or b) be super selective about what you share given anyone - friend, family or stranger - can read it. 

Protecting information online is super hard. Don't they say that once it's online it's online forever? If you don't want it to be potentially shared around either trust the people who have access to it exponentionally or don't do it at all is how I tend to conduct myself online.

I think agreeing on boundaries and communicating about them is a good step towards a healthy & safe online relationship.

A couple of other things, I worry when people think that sharing social media logins is a good thing! There is a bit of an illusion that it means you trust each other but it's actually the opposite i think! Trust is built by the way you act. Having privacy and your own autonomy is very important!

Also I think no matter what - even if you are in a good healthy relationship now you should always think twice about sharing private photos....

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

im glad im not the only one addicted! I also like the realness of the show and they way that it includes different dynamics of relationships, and that there is often very little judgement, its a great show!

I really need to start watching catfish during the holidays!!