cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

[INFOBUS] The rainbow: sexuality & gender diversity!

The broader community in which we live is not always an accepting and inclusive one. You guys have talked about it here on the forums so many times, and the people Twenty10 works with see it too. Twenty10 works with and supports people of diverse genders, sexes and sexualities, their families and communities.  

You guys have talked about:

experiencing rejection from families and peers;

being targets of homophobia and transphobia;

being at risk of homelessness;

and all this has impacted on sense of self, wellbeing and mental health.

So next Thursday night at 9pm AEDT / 6pm WST we'll be joined by Bugs from Twenty10 to talk about all things LGBTIQ.

Lesbian

Gay

Bisexual
Trans*

Intersex

Queer

But we need your help! Help us decide what to talk about on the night by submitting your questions here.

In the meantime, check out this vid we released earlier this year, then we'll see you at 9pm AEDT

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

Re: [INFOBUS] The rainbow: sexuality & gender diversity!

Here's what Bugs had to say! 
"Hi there my name is Bugs and I am the groups worker at Twenty10. Twenty10 is the youth service for people up to the age of 26 who are of diverse sexes sexualities and genders. We aim to be a beacon of strength and acceptance by supporting individuals to build resilience and achieve their potential. We strive to be known as a place of excellence in leadership, education and support services for young people and adults wherever they are.

A part of my role here is organising events, listening to what is relevant and interesting for folks and  creating spaces that are as safe and awesome as possible. Stuff that we have done recently has been Trans Day of Remembrance events, dragon boating, print making, sexual health workshops, capture the flag, zine making, and hanging out with baby fox kits!"

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

Hey y’all welcome to tonight’s discussion. We’re joined by the awesome Twenty10 - specifically, Bugs! SO say hi to Bugs!

Tonight we’re going to be have a chat  about oming out/inviting in, dealing with homophobia, creating inclusive communities and looking after our mental health - we're covering it all! 

Don't forget to keep the ReachOut.com guidelines in mind tonight, and remember that we aren't counsellors so if at any point you are feeling overwhelmed you can always log out and head over to QLife to have a chat with those great folks... Looking forward to hearing everyone's opinions!

So, to kick off our first question for you all tonight is: not everyone might be familiar with the concepts we'll talk about tonight - can you explain what sexuality; gender; and sex mean? And how are they different?

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

Hi there. Looking forward to tonights chat. Hopefully it can help to raise awareness about issues in the the LGBTIQ community and also help to answer some questions we might al be having.

lanejane

Hi @lanejane! Thanks for joining us! Totally agree

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

Hi everyone,

Bugs here from twenty10, feel free to ask any question that come up Smiley Happy I am stoked to chat with folks with any questions around sex, sexuality and or gender n look forward to good chats

Hi Bugs! Thanks so much for taking the time to chat with us!

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

Evening everyone Smiley Happy

I'm happy to participate with everyone tonight Smiley Happy

So in my opinion:

Sex is your biological "male" or "femaleness" based upon your genetics/chromosomes etc

Gender is how you identify yourself. Your self image, your outward presentation, beliefs, interests can all make up what you believe your gender is. Some people are cis-gendered, meaning the gender they identify with corresponds with their designated sex at birth. Other people can have diverse or differing genders to their sex, which can come under an umbrella term: trans.

Hi Bugs! Looking forward to the discussion this evening.
And hello to you too @Sophie-RO 

Can you explain what sexuality; gender; and sex mean? And how are they different?

Sexuality to me is how people express themselves in terms of romantic, emotional, intimate, sexual relationships. They may be attracted in a multitude of different ways to another person, or not at all. In terms of labels, it's about people being able to identify who they are and where they fit and giving a voice to their sexual preference, so as humans we know where others stand.

Gender to me is a socially created construct that we as humans have created.

Sex to me refers to biological and physiological characteristics we are born with,