cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [INFOBUS] The rainbow: sexuality & gender diversity!

I think its totally a process lanejane when you havent thought much about your sexuality or gender or sex before to see them as seperate and distinct, practicing to not assume someones gender or sexuality  is a good place to start and to think about how individual your own identity and attraction and attachment to your body is and to know that there are infinite ways to identify and be in the world.

@Clockwork let us know what the book is called! then maybe @Sophie-RO can look up a link, make sure it's all good and post it for us!

lanejane

Oops, it wasn't from Gender Queer but produced by Gay and Lesbian Health Victoria. The link for the booklet is http://www.glhv.org.au/files/GQv3.pdf

@lanejane wrote:

Question to the infobus community tonight - Does anyone on here often get confused about sex/gender and sexuality? What helped you to distinguish the three?

Great question  @lanejane ! I used to see it as a very clear black and white the way I was raised religiously. A lot of people, especially men, still see it this way. We were raised with clear division between men and women and a large focus on loving the opposite gender. 
It was actually Trans people who opened my eyes to gender diversity and understanding it more clearly. I learnt that people can be born into a body they feel detached from gender wise. I learnt people can be on a spectrum between gay and straight and that bisexual people aren't just confused. 
A great modern day example of gender is Laverne Cox on Orange is the New Black. Her character goes through full surgery to become a woman whilst married to a woman with a child. It's eye opening and educational. I've definitely learnt that labelling gender is useless, it's best to ask someone how they feel rather than project our wishes onto them.

Thanks Soph Smiley Happy feel like a bit of an outsider, but thanks for welcoming me.

Hi @motorhead!!

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

Highlighted

@bluebird it's alright I'm a newbie here too Smiley Happy

@lanejane - totally agree it can be confusing! ANd also there are a lot of assumptions that people make, that if you have a certain  gender than that must mean you have a certain sexuality. whereas they are all separate aspects of a person!

So, onto the next question when it comes to gender and sexuality, “Coming Out” means different things to different people and can be simple for some, while for others it can be challenging and confusing. Some find it helpful to think about it as a process of "inviting in" rather than coming out.. What are some of the things that can make this time easier?

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

I do admit I get confused by the spectrum and all the labels and I didn't even how realise how broad and large it was, until I started paying attention to my own sexuality. To be honest I don't feel like I fit anywhere, but that's okay with me because I don't need to define myself right now, because I'm still exploring that area of myself.

Make sure you will be safe!

Don't feel pressured to come out if you are in a potentially dangerous situation.

Always have a worst-case-scenario backup plan.

Best case scenario you have support and acceptance, but always prepare for the worst