cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [INFOBUS] The rainbow: sexuality & gender diversity!

Sorry to hear that about your best mate @motorhead - hopefully he will make progress like forwardthinking's mum...

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

@lanejane That's one thing that breaks my heart a little bit, the fact that not any different variations of relationships can't have children. The fact your coworker actually said that to your face. Some people's unpopular opinions would be better left unsaid. It grates me how some have no filter, or even care about what they're actually saying and how it may impact how another is feeling.

Anyway...I wish you both all the best!!!  Smiley Happy

He has actually looked into things but he doesn't understand how misgendering and feminizing me upsets me. He thinks I should just 'get over it' and be happy with what I am. "Why does it even matter?'

It's a hard thing to explain though.

@motorhead 

I think it's great that you realise he may need more processing time. I think sometimes we forget that we have known about your true gender or sexuality for a long time, and it can be difficult for our parents and friends to find out and just be expected to be okay with it straight away. Sometimes they just need time to think!

I hope your friend realises there's so much more to you than just your sexual preference.

lanejane

@Sophie-RO wrote:
@Wow, @Forwardthinking, what progress she made...

ANd also: weeeee *exploding rainbow* great metaphor!!! love it

haha...I agree!!  The exploding rainbow thing. I may be stepping overline here but I do think there are 'some' people...it even happens in the mental health community, who paste these labels all over themselves and constantly change their sexuality etc. I'm like...it doesn't work like...on a montly basis.

Highlighted

My partner and I recently got married ("married") and I was talking about marriage equality at work, and one of the ladies turned around and said "I completely agree that gay people should be able to get married - but don't know about them having kids. There isn't enough evidence to say the children won't be damaged".

Probably the first time my jaw has ever really dropped!

Needless to say, my partner I will be going ahead and having kids despite her unpopular opinion. We will make great mums! And there is no better ingredient that love and acceptance in a family Smiley Happy

@lanejane When people pull out the "You can have this much of the cake" argument I go back to basics. I bring it back to the fundamentals of life. 

Everyone is equal. When people make comments like that they are elevating themselves into a position of power that highlights their insecurities. Confidence is silent, insecurities are loud.

Glad you ignored it and are still looking forward to pro-creating Smiley Wink

@Beemo Smiley Sad I'm so sorry! I hate it when people say that, 'get over it'. It is SO CONDESCENDING. I hope over time he finds the space to realise where you're coming from and how it hurts.

I always imagined bursting out of the closet and dancing around with confetti... but that's just me Smiley Tongue

@_sagira_ sexuality is fluid though...

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

i think thats a bit tricky _sagira_ because sometimes peoples identity does change a bit and it doesn't make it less valid or real, but the assumption that it is a changable phase can make people dismiss really important personal stuff