cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [INFOBUS] The rainbow: sexuality & gender diversity!

Questioning your gender is a different thing to questioning your sexuality, though there are some similarities, like a process of 'coming out/inviting in'. If someone came to you and told you that they were questioning their sexuality or gender, but they hadn't told anyone yet, what would you tell them?

I'll like to think I'd be able to give an open ear for them and let them know that I'll support them no matter what. I'll also most likely give them contacts for some support services if they need that too.

So we're running out of time so this is going to be the last Q for tonight... Discrimination and violence put LGBTQ individuals in particularly vulnerable positions with respect to mental health and suicide. What's something we can all do this week to make our communities more inclusive?

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

As an add-on:

With gender things asking about pronouns and names is important too

It's amazing how much unwavering support of a person's identity can make a person feel amazingly better about themselves Smiley Happy

@Sophie-RO wrote:

So we're running out of time so this is going to be the last Q for tonight... Discrimination and violence put LGBTQ individuals in particularly vulnerable positions with respect to mental health and suicide. What's something we can all do this week to make our communities more inclusive?

This is a great point.

I think we could all talk to someone who usually gets left out or whom we might overlook in our day to day lives. A nice, warm heartfelt smile and a small conversation can light up a person's day and who knows it might even save a life.

Discrimination and violence put LGBTQ individuals in particularly vulnerable positions with respect to mental health and suicide. What's something we can all do this week to make our communities more inclusive?

This is question which holds so much truth to it. I'd suggest talking about it and inviting open discussion and conversation with people. Just about 'equal rights' in general and a plethora of stuff will explode from people's mouths.

Its been really nice chattin with you all!! and thats a really nice question to end on Sophie i reckon ways to make our communities more inclusive can be looking out for each other, sharing knowledge, respect peoples boundaries, question why some identities are more visable and give space to peoplethat don't have as much as you and have big conversations like this one

If you practise empathy, kindness and acceptance you'll make your part of the community a little bit more positive Smiley Happy

spread the love <3

Totally @Forwardthinking ! Also, you've all already done one thing by participating in this tonight. Our chat will stay here and will get read over the following days, weeks, months and the experiences and stories will make a difference in the lives of people that you'll never meet, and they'll never get to say thank you so I will now - thank you guys.

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

Discrimination and violence put LGBTQ individuals in particularly vulnerable positions with respect to mental health and suicide. What's something we can all do this week to make our communities more inclusive?

I heard this thing at a violence forum where the speaker said if you see an instance in public where someone may be verbally aubsing someone else or becoming violent towards them - it's good to keep an eye out on how the situation progresses (if it does)...

While you may not personally involved yourself, because it could be dangerous for you, you are there to seek help for the person if it is needed.

So I just keep an eye out in the community for people who may be expererencing harrassment (whether its related to sex/gender/sexuality or just anything) and I make sure I am there to recognise agressive or dangerous behaviour so I can seek support or help for the person if its required.

lanejane

Well before I head off the night, I'd like to thank everyone for such a great discussion. Smiley Happy