cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Infobus on June 7th - Young Carers

My caring experience has shaped my career as a social worker, which has been a massive positive thing for me! When I was younger, I never would have thought that my role as a young carer would have had such a positive influence on my career choice Smiley Happy

Wow @Daniel-Carers. It's cool that your experience has inspired you to help more people. Smiley Happy

There is lots of positives from being a carer.
Seeing my siblings learn new things and become more and more independent is really lovely. I remember probably only 12 months ago my brother would not set foot in the supermarket, it just totally freaked him out and tonight I picked him up from his part time job at a shop, thats awesome, like I helped him achieve that, how cool!
Even just when I was younger doing things for them, it just felt good to look after them knowing that I've helped. And its also not always about doing things for them its about teaching how to do things for themselves and learn new things. 

//You can stay afraid, or slit the throat of fear and be brave//

What are some of the positive things about being a young carer?

Well, being a carer or a young carer can be pretty tough, but that can help you learn a very important skill called resilience, which is learning to handle the stress of life and the tough times that happen. 

Most importantly being a carer helped me figure out what I wanted to be when I grow up. It helped me to realise I wanted to help people and that has helped to push me into the social work field so I can help others.

It looks like it has influenced a lot of major life choices for people Smiley Happy Careers is something I wouldn't have thought of.

I forgot to add - I think it made me mature a lot faster than my friends. With being a carer there is a lot of ádult' things that need to be done. I look at where I am now and can see that I am doing so well.

Next question Smiley Happy

How can you support someone who is a young carer? If you have ever gotten some support as a young carer, what was it like?

I knew how to do a lot of jobs and stuff way before most people my age, just cause I had to!

I agree @Daniel-Carers, it definitely makes you more mature.

How can you support someone who is a young carer? If you have ever gotten some support as a young carer, what was it like?

I have always been supported by Young Carers NSW since I can remember which is great because they provide great support even just through their newsletters, website or some of the programs they run.

I have had support from teachers who have known about my caring responsibilities, they have helped me get extensions for assignments when there have been unforeseen things I have had to do or just listened to how I was feeling.