cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Infobus on June 7th - Young Carers

I was lucky that my friends knew about my caring duties and were great to vent to and for some respite when time allowed. I found that by growing my support network the caring role became way more manageable!

How can you support someone who is a young carer? If you have ever gotten some support as a young carer, what was it like?

I haven't really, only things like these chats. peer support has been helpful, connecting with other people who get it
//You can stay afraid, or slit the throat of fear and be brave//

I guess as someone who doesn't have experience, lend an ear or a hand, or both. And try to be as understanding as you can be with be with an ear and a hand left.

In all seriousness though, be there to listen and ask them how you can help them if you can at all.

@FootyFan26 I think that sums it up perfectly! Sometimes just being there is enough. I guess everyone's caring situation is different and it can change on a daily, weekly or hourly basis, but knowing you have people there is an amazing feeling!

It can be difficult sometimes to ask for help or support when you are a young carer. Sometimes the people around us may think we are managing, which stops them from asking us if we need help. I found it very helpful when I did ask others for help and support. For example, if I wasn't able to get an assignment complete by the due date due to my caring role, it was good talking to the teacher about getting a possible extension. 

I think sometimes it might feel difficult for people to open up about their experience as a carer, not everyone else knows what it's like or has been a part of a conversation like this. So just being willing to listen and understand a bit about what it's like can be a huge help Smiley Happy 

@Ben-RO That's right Smiley Happy

If you don't know how to support someone, ask them what is the best way they would like to be supported Smiley Happy

On to the last question for the evening

It's important to take time out as a young carer to look after yourself, what types of things do you do/can you suggest?

Well I'm pretty sure you're all going to laugh at me! But I started to get into magic. I found that having a pack of playing cards was really relaxing to have in my hand and over time I started to learn some really cool tricks! It also came in handy to impress all the nurses at the hospital! To this day I continue to have a deck of cards on hand at all times!

I learnt to play the guitar. Music for me is my time out, and it also gives me space to express myself in a creative way!