cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [SPECIAL GUEST] Consent

Buzzfeed also comes through with the goods: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eu_VexVpZhM

What are some of the ways to let someone know if you’re not feeling comfortable?

It can feel sort of awkward, but I think it's best to just be super direct. If you're with someone, you should feel comfortable enough to tell them when something is a no go. If you don't trust them enough to express it, that would be a huge red flag that things aren't right.

What are some of the ways to let someone know if you’re not feeling comfortable?

I'd just say it.  I feel like verbal communication is very clear and then with the verbal actions also just move away.  Physically moving yourself and telling the person that you don't want to have sex seems like pretty clear communication to me.

As I've said before, talking about it shouldn't have to feel weird! Talking about this sort of stuff should be way more normalised than it is at the moment.

Ideally, being direct is ideal. Being able to say "you know what, I'm not feeling this".

But, in reality, that can be really hard. You can always provide an alternative, like - 'I'm not really into having sex right now, but I'd really like to keep making out if that's okay"?

yeah i agree @Chessca_H just be as direct as possible, of course nothing should be happening if aren't clear in your decision anyway but being direct is the best way i think
//You can stay afraid, or slit the throat of fear and be brave//

I think sometimes it might seem difficult or embarrassing to speak up because perhaps you might be feeling vulnerable or you don't want to give of a negative impression, but it is really important to try and be assertive in order to let the other person know that you are "not okay" with something, or that perhaps you're "not ready" to do something.

Recognising that you are completely free to say ‘no’ even if you had initially said ‘yes’ is very important. No one should be made to feel obligated in any situation that they don’t feel comfortable in (even if you have had sex with the other person before).

Saying things like ‘no, I don’t want to’ or ‘no, it doesn’t feel right’ or just a straight up ‘no’ are really clear and direct ways to let the other person know exactly how you are feeling.

Okay smashing answers so far.

I think it's interesting that we might feel like it's awkward about just saying we're not into this. I guess we need to do a lot more to make sure there's space for consent but also to make space for the word "no". 

Highlighted

@khaleesi_18 Absolutely! The answer can change at any time and a partner should be ok with that