cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [SPECIAL GUEST] Consent

I'm just gonna read everyones answers for this one.

My entire life can be described in one sentence: It didn't go as planned and that's okay. ツ

I totally agree that being direct is important. and it's nice that a lot of us are recognising that that can be really difficult, for lots of different reasons.

Knowing that you have the right to say 'no', having a variety of techniques you can use to remove yourself from a vulnerable situation, and knowing that support is available are ways to increase people's ability to practice their consent fully!!

This is great discussion! Everyone has a lot of very interesting and useful points Smiley Happy
Highlighted

Totally, @OceanMaster1207 - what a great chat!

Okay, time for another anonymous question. and a bit of a change of pace:

Does consent change when one or more of the involved parties are drunk? If so, how?

Yes, drugs and alcohol can inhibit someone’s ability to give consent. When someone is ‘under the influence of alcohol’ they can’t be said to be freely and voluntarily giving full consent, because the alcohol might be clouding their judgement.  If both people are drunk, then it could be said that that are both potential perpetrators of assault and both are potential victims. If someone is drunk or clearly under the influence of something, it’s better just to steer clear of any sexual activity until they’ve sobered up.

Okay, time for our next question!

How well do you think young Australians understand consent? What do you think we “get” and what do you think we should focus on learning a bit more about?

How well do you think young Australians understand consent? What do you think we “get” and what do you think we should focus on learning a bit more about?

It seems to me that i am talking to a bunch of young australians who get the concept of consent  (and how to use it) pretty comprehensively. 

I am thinking a bit about the fact that it's hard to say no sometimes, and that worries me a little bit. 

So i think we need to keep pushing the concept of consent (because not everyone is as switched on as you all are) but also start talking about how to make sure someone feels comfortable to say no. 

I have some thoughts on that, but I'll leave it there for now so i can read all your responses Smiley Tongue 

I actually think Australia's drinking culture and also drug taking behaviour is something which is a really important thing to keep in mind when talking about consent. I think many young Australians who enjoy going to parties may sometimes take drugs and alcohol in order to feel more comfortable about asking if someone would like to have sex, because lets face it things may not be as scary when you're under the influence. But sex in its own right is something that can be very beautiful and meaningful, and having sex when you're not sober is something that can diminish that experience, and again as @Giv-SexEducator mentioned, put you at risk of being a perpetrator or victim of assault. 

From my experience running sex education with young people (and adults), a lot of us just don't really know how to communicate BEFORE, DURING and AFTER sex, or any sexual act.

We don't have opportunities to practice using the right words or terms of phrases, so when it comes to the heat of the moment, we really struggle to put things into proper sentences about what we want and don't want.

This extends to people not being able to say "actually I think we should use a condom", through to "I really don't like it when you grab my ass", for example.

We need to learn better communication skills for sex. 

I think most young people understand the whole "no means no" part of consent, but might struggle when it comes to stuff thats more in depth like the fact that consent is conditional and can be withdrawn. I think there needs to be a lot more education for young people about consent

So how can we start to learn better sex communication skills @Giv-SexEducator