cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [SPECIAL GUEST] Consent

I feel as though I am not eqipped to answer this question but perhaps one thing would be using the phrase 'maybe' as a way to tease the other person, when really you shoild just say ues if you want to. No wonder why consent can be so confusing.

Don't be afaid to say no. The way the other person reacts to this response has nothing to do with you.

It should also be noted that buying a drink for someone does not give you a one way ticket for their panties. It is a drink, not consent.

My entire life can be described in one sentence: It didn't go as planned and that's okay. ツ

@Ben-RO How can we learn better sex communication skills?

Start practicing! From the very first kisses with someone we can start modelling consent and communication. Like "that feels good" or "can you go a bit slower/faster/harder/softer" is a really nice way to introduce the conversation. 

We also need to improve the sex ed in schools, which is part of my job at Family Planning! Teachers find it awkward to chat to students about sex, so then the students feels awkward in return and get the idea that talking about sex IS awkward and should be avoided at all costs.

Forums like this are amazing and a great way to engage in open and honest discussions in a way which is less threatening than face-to-face!

How well do you think young Australians understand consent? What do you think we “get” and what do you think we should focus on learning a bit more about?

From tonight’s Infobus alone, I think all of us have a pretty clear idea of what consent looks like! Speaking more generally, I think that it’s a conversation that we definitely need to have more, but it’s a really positive thing that we are starting to have these conversations. The more we talk about consent, the better.

I think that as @Ben-RO said before, making room for ‘no’ in discussions about consent is also important.

Just a reminder that if our discussion tonight is distressing for you in any way, please contact 1800 RESPECT (1800 737 732), the links on the first page of tonight's chat, http://au.reachout.com/sexual-assault-support or mensline.org.au

Highlighted

@Giv-SexEducator really happy to hear that people like you are working to improve sex ed in schools! And with such a growing diversity in young people it is something which is even more crucial.

@OceanMaster1207 thanks! and it warms the cockles (pun intended) of my heart that people are just as keen to talk about it as I am!

Time for the last question, loving all of the responses we've gotten!

If you’re still not sure or are worried about something to do with consent, who can you talk to?

Ahem

You can talk to us here on the RO forums for starters. Always happy to chat! 

If you’re still not sure or are worried about something to do with consent, who can you talk to?

ReachOut have a great resource list available.

Otherwise I would suggest school counsellors (or any counsellor), your PDHPE teacher, youth workers, or any health professional (including a doctor or nurse).

There is always going to be someone who is happy to listen and help. Consent is really important, so make sure you chat to someone if you're at all worried! 

The only places I really know are 1800 RESPECT or other helplines.  I've been told there are also centres around for youth to go and ask abotut issues like this be given advice etc. but I don't know what they're called.

There are a whole range of resources out there for anyone to read on the webs. Don't be afraid to talk to a trusted person about this either. I know for me, I have spoken to both my counsellor and GP not just about consent, but all things to do with sex.

My entire life can be described in one sentence: It didn't go as planned and that's okay. ツ