cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [SPECIAL GUEST] Dealing with feelings

We got a few questions for this session here's @Alikki with the first one. Do you agree with her answer? Do you have any more questions? 

Here's the first anonymous question that was asked for this evening.. 

1.How do you know whether it's worth seeking help for a recurring feeling that is only sometimes intense? Shouldn't a person just deal with it themselves?

This is a great question! We all do experience emotions to varying degrees and for many different reasons.

One reason you might decide to seek help is to look for skills to better manage the intense feelings when they do come, and to also look for ways to stop them from getting so intense in the first place.

Sometimes our emotions can hit us real hard, real quick. If you feel like your emotions are too much to cope with (too overwhelming) and you can’t calm yourself down, then it certainly won't hurt to get some help with that. 

I think it's worth getting help if it's having a big impact on your life. Getting help usually doesn't hurt you
===========================
Trying to make my misery
just a piece of my history
A little less victim a little more victory
-Icon for Hire
Highlighted

Exactly @redhead!

Okay, time for the next question I think! 

When might it be a good time to seek some help to deal with big feelings or intense emotions? What are some of the things that might be happening that might tell you it’s time to ReachOut?

I would say a good time to seek some help would be if it feels like its too much for you to deal with on your own, you don't know how to cope with it, its happening too often, or if there are any thoughts of self harm or suicide.

When might it be a good time to seek some help to deal with big feelings or intense emotions? What are some of the things that might be happening that might tell you it’s time to ReachOut?

If they are becoming more frequent or getting triggered more by things that you used to handle.
===========================
Trying to make my misery
just a piece of my history
A little less victim a little more victory
-Icon for Hire

I am going to approach this question from a slightly different angle. While it's always important to ReachOut if you are not safe or in any way at risk of harm.. I think it's also important to reachout when you're not in a tough time. It's the best time to keep building skills to stay well and get through the next tough time. 

When you can relate to Kurt.

When you feelings start to scare you, make you feel uncomfortable such as impulsion, feeling suicidal, wanting to self-harm or inflict harm on others. 

My entire life can be described in one sentence: It didn't go as planned and that's okay. ツ

I think changes in behaviour, as well as high levels of stress would be some indicators. It's always important to reachout if anything starts to feel increasingly uncomfortable. It's better earlier than later. 

What does everyone think?