cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [SPECIAL GUEST] Dealing with feelings

Ben-RO wrote:

Another thing to do is practice communication skills. Sometimes the way other people act can be pretty triggering. Learning how to tell other people what you need and what might be wrong can actually help head off the intense emotions! 

So basically what @Ben-RO is getting at is that it is all about R.E.S.P.E.C.T. in which you can find more about in last nights Getting Real session.

My entire life can be described in one sentence: It didn't go as planned and that's okay. ツ

Actually speaking of creativity, I find colouring in and making loom bands (yes, Loom bands) really help. But these are techniques I neglect to use often enough

Mindful colouring in is a real craze at the moment, and for good reason, it's fantastic!!

@j95 the next question is for you! Smiley Happy 

No judging @Richarhman I still have stacks and stacks of loom bands in my room. :/

My entire life can be described in one sentence: It didn't go as planned and that's okay. ツ

What are some coping strategies that you think would help someone to learn to cope with “yucky”feelings. This time think about things you can do when the intense feelings happen.

My psychologist just doesn't shut up about it @Alikki Smiley Happy Hahaha

Haha, @stonepixie, it must be an occupational hazard.

I have a loom band on my wrist at the moment from Thailand! Chiang Mai treasures! 

Highlighted

1. How do I learn to cope with feelings when my whole life I've been told feelings are wrong and never learnt to deal with them properly. I tend to ignore them til they explode and get too out of hand so I use negative coping strategies or turn to suicidal thoughts. I don't know how to sit with a feeling without trying to get rid of it.

I remember first learning about mindfulness and sitting with your feelings and i was like what? I was so confused. The balance is hard, like when a feeling comes along how do you not completely avoid it, or on the other side, how do you sit with your thoughts without thinking to much and letting it get to you?

I'm a lot better with this now but it can still be a struggle sometimes.