cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [SPECIAL GUEST] Dealing with feelings

In answer to this question, I think we've already talked about a lot of these ways we can learn to cope: mindfulness, distraction, exercise, breathing, chatting about it, reaching out, even loom banding (is that a word?).
Highlighted

What are some coping strategies that you think would help someone to learn to cope with “yucky”feelings. This time think about things you can do when the intense feelings happen.

I do a few things. Exercise and calling a helpline are my two go to things. I also try to keep a mental record (or sometimes written) of what's going on and then discuss it with my therapist when I see her next. Journaling or writing has also been helpful for me. Or painting out the feeling.
Sometimes it gets out of hand and I end up in hospital and that's ok too
===========================
Trying to make my misery
just a piece of my history
A little less victim a little more victory
-Icon for Hire

Looms are great. My mum went to a warehouse closing down sale the other day and bought me 20 packs for a couple of dollars. Gonna have to get busy!

how could I forget journalling @redhead, a lot of people find this very helpful. And, like you said, it can be good to take to your counsellor if you have one, it can be hard to remember all the things that have happened since you spoke last and this can help remind you and help you both work through them.

Sorry guys I'm going to have to go just remembered I have a lot to do and I've gotta be up super early tomorrow! Have a great rest of your chat
//You can stay afraid, or slit the throat of fear and be brave//

What are some coping strategies that you think would help someone to learn to cope with “yucky”feelings. This time think about things you can do when the intense feelings happen.

I do lots of things. But if there is heaps of energy behind those yucky feelings, then run, I must. But otherwise I enjoy taking in nature, getting my craft on, enjoying a nice bubble bath and other mindless stuff. Smiley Happy

My entire life can be described in one sentence: It didn't go as planned and that's okay. ツ

And painting the feeling @redhead! another good one!

Good answers already! I like to recommend that people go to this thread pick something and do it! It can be tricky to remember to do that though, it can be pretty hard to think straight.  

Having a bath/hot shower is a great way to relax, and going for a run is a great way to burn off the extra energy that our brain gives us when we are stressed @sophiepixie

Good night @j95! Thanks for participating as always!

I think it's important to understand that everyone is unique in their way of dealing with these yucky feelings. To know your coping mechanisms (whether it be exercise, painting, meditation etc) is important. Its always useful to turn to what works for you.