cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [SPECIAL GUEST] Dealing with feelings

That is awesome that you try to remember what is going on so as you can talk to your therapist about it @redhead . I always forgot what my feelings were in relation to, so always had to write them down.

My entire life can be described in one sentence: It didn't go as planned and that's okay. ツ

one last answer before I go!

Something I use to cope with my feelings especially when its anger or overwhelm is laying down with a heat pack. This works when I'm feeling angry because I put it on the area Im feeling the most physical tension like my chest.
//You can stay afraid, or slit the throat of fear and be brave//

Ahh that's such a good one @j95!

Strong finish! Have a good snooze mate!

@stonepixie im lucky that I see my therapist twice a week so not much time passes between sessions.
===========================
Trying to make my misery
just a piece of my history
A little less victim a little more victory
-Icon for Hire
Highlighted

Okay, time for the next question, which is definitely related to the last one! 

It can be really tricky to remember to use those strategies when we’re dealing with the intense feels. How can we learn to remember to use the skills we develop?

Ah, that makes sense. @redhead Smiley Happy I used to see mine once a fortnight, if I was lucky. But this just goes to show that different people require different levels of support.

My entire life can be described in one sentence: It didn't go as planned and that's okay. ツ

A good way to remember is to have a list to go to, or what I like to call a "toolbox" - its a shoebox that can be filled with reminders of skills you can use. When we are really distressed, our brain doesn't let us problem solve as much as usual, so having a reminder list/box can be handy.

It can be really tricky to remember to use those strategies when we’re dealing with the intense feels. How can we learn to remember to use the skills we develop?

Practice makes perfect! It's also really handy to build a support network and have people around you who can support you. If you have trouble remembering all the awesome coping strategies and techniques we've talked about, it can be pretty handy to have someone else who knows and can gently remind you! 

I have also heard of people who have a box or a bag full of things like coping strategies, techniques, people who are cool with talking about it and a plan they can follow to make sure they stay safe. 

I have a written coping plan. And a short list on my phone.
And for me it happens quite regularly so I kinda know what to do by now. Ask me that a year ago I would have said no idea and turned to self harm.
===========================
Trying to make my misery
just a piece of my history
A little less victim a little more victory
-Icon for Hire

Also the bag does not contain actual people, generally just the contact details or a list of names of people Smiley Tongue