cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [SPECIAL GUEST] Dealing with feelings

It can be really tricky to remember to use those strategies when we’re dealing with the intense feels. How can we learn to remember to use the skills we develop?

Having a calm box, which contains things that help you relax, but also excludes anything that you can harm yourself with. Also having a visual cue helps. For me, my keys help me to remember not only that I need to take my meds, but also, that I need to do some breathing exercises, which happens to be for prevention. Smiley Happy

My entire life can be described in one sentence: It didn't go as planned and that's okay. ツ

I'm glad you've learnt some other ways of coping @rehead, and this just goes to show that practice does help!

It can be really tricky to remember to use those strategies when we’re dealing with the intense feels. How can we learn to remember to use the skills we develop?

I'm looking forward to seeing hat ideas other people have, as this is a department that I struggle with. I think part of my problem is not acknowledging the feeling as soon as possible, so not going into coping mode soon enough.

Oh my gosh, @redhead !!!! That is so awesome to hear. Smiley Happy Your progress brings a smile to my face, and heart. Smiley Very Happy

My entire life can be described in one sentence: It didn't go as planned and that's okay. ツ

@Alikki @Ben-RO that is super awesome, having something physical to store your outlets that you would turn to. 

@redheadthat is amazing that you have developed something that really works for you. I am so glad to hear that having a written plan is working for you! Also what you wrote just reminds me to make more better use of the notes app on my phone! 

There's a lot out there @Richardman, and like someone mentioned earlier, some things work more for some people than others. I'd suggest trying a lot of different things. You're right, early identification certainly helps. We are lucky now that we have the world at our finger tips and theres a lot of info online (and some cool apps) that we can access at any time.
Highlighted

It's so awesome to hear that you now have all these skills @redhead and i see how often you share the amazing things you have learned with people here on the forums which is also extremely awesome Smiley Happy

Time for the third anonymous question... 

How do you manage your emotions without having to talk or share it someone? How can I be kind to myself and give power to my own voice instead of others?

There are lots of skills and strategies that can help us to manage our

emotions without talking about it, they are called “emotion-regulation”

and “distress tolerance” skills. You can use things like mindfulness, slow

breathing exercises, relaxation exercises, visualization, distracting

yourself with pleasant events, and general exercise. There are lots of

things online and even on apps that can help to guide you through this.

Using positive self-talk really helps as well, and giving yourself a chance

to do things you enjoy and can get good at to give you a positive self-esteem.

These skills, as well as giving power to your own voice instead of others can take practice (like anything), but are definitely worth working on.

Another important thing would be to make sure that you do have positive influences around you (family/friends/workmates) that help you to feel better about yourself.

And now for a follow up question! 

What is self-talk? How can we work towards more positive self-talk?

Can I introduce you to our awesome factsheet?