cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [SPECIAL GUEST] Family Dramas

There are lots of formal ways to reach out for help, places like the ReachOut forums exist in part to help people find the places they can go. I think along with knowing those formal places, it's a good idea to think about who can help you have what might feel like a pretty scary conversation. People who can help are teachers, school counsellors, friends you might trust or maybe a sibling. The main thing is you don't have to reach out alone! There are people who would be happy to help you get some more support Smiley Happy 

Do you want to tell use what SECASA is and where you guys are based? @Carp

My entire life can be described in one sentence: It didn't go as planned and that's okay. ツ

Okay, and now it's time to share another question asked before our discussion and it's answer Smiley Happy over to you @Carp

SECASA is South East Centre Againsnt Sexual Assualt based in the south east burbs of melbourne but theres a CASA in every region.
COntact 1800 RESPECT to reach out for support anywhere in Australia!
Highlighted

• What are the long lasting effects for children who have been exposed to family violence?

Effects can range depending on the individual- Low self-esteem, sadness, depression, fear and anxiety.

Its important and often feels better once people talk to someone- a friend you trust, a teacher, helplines on the phone and online if someone feels those things

effects can vary from person to person. some long lasting effects can include:

• re victimisation
  • entering a relationship with similar dynamics to what one was exposed to
  • difficulty in relationships
  • problems with self esteerm

please note these are general effects and can also occur in people who have not been exposed to family violence

I am really digging this chat at the moment, I'm pretty dang impressed at how much you all already know too! 

There’s a lot of talk in the media about family violence and a lot of the time it refers to males being the ones being violent. Why are males always getting ‘bashed’ in the media when females can be really abusive and controlling too in relationships and families?  

There’s a lot of talk in the media about family violence and a lot of the time it refers to males being the ones being violent. Why are males always getting ‘bashed’ in the media when females can be really abusive and controlling too in relationships and families?  

Well they're being hit hard in the media mostly because it's a fact that males are way more likely to be the person hurting other people in a domestic situation. Unfortunately it's as simple as that. 

Its true females can be perpetrators when it comes to family violence but the sad fact is that most deaths and serious injuries are against women by male perpetrators. More than 1 female is killed each week in Australia by a male partner or former partner. A third of females have experienced physical violence and 1 fifth have had sexual violence.
We know most guys are not violent and are respectful but most of the violence out there in families are by guys. Sad fact but we can all do something about it!

So you are a service for the state of Victoria @Carp? And anyone can find a support service in their area by ringing or visititing 1800RESPECT (1800 737 732).

My entire life can be described in one sentence: It didn't go as planned and that's okay. ツ