cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [SPECIAL GUEST] Family Dramas

Even as a bystander you can do something! Tell your mate its not cool when he tells sexist jokes at a party... or when a friend is yelling at his girlfriend. It might take a bit of courage but you can make a difference

There’s a lot of talk in the media about family violence and a lot of the time it refers to males being the ones being violent. Why are males always getting ‘bashed’ in the media when females can be really abusive and controlling too in relationships and families?

Most people think of violence in physical terms, and since physical violence is often gendered men are usually depicted as the perpetrators of family violence. Also I think people find it difficult to visualise women perpetrating family violence, since women are usually depicted as victims + no one links women with physical violence. Maybe it's also more difficult to depict abusive and controlling behaviour when it isn't physical? Sometimes I see abusive behaviour being celebrated as 'strict parenting' and maybe that also contributes in some way. Especially in the culture that I'm from, physical violence being perpetrated by the mother can be seen as 'discipline'

Sometimes walking away form the conversation or saying 'come on, thats not cool' will suffice.

it's important to look at statistics to answer this question. 

- globally 1 in 3 women experience DV

• more than one woman is killed each week in Australia due to DV 
  • intimate partner violence is the TOP risk factor for death, disability and illness of Victorian women aged 15 - 44
  • 7 in 10 women murdered in Australia are victims of DV

While these stats are horrific, it is important not to complely discount that abuse does occur with men as well, just not to the extent as it does for women 

Highlighted

yeah i get what you're saying @Carp but i feel like violence perpetrated by women is pretty much invisible and sometimes actually invalidated. Sometimes people can be told it doesn't really count.
//You can stay afraid, or slit the throat of fear and be brave//

Okay so I am convinced, us guys have got some issues that we need to sort out. So herés another question. 

Why do you think that males are so much more likely to be the ones who act violently?

Simple fact is guys are physically stronger.

I'm gonna have to go sorry guys.
===========================
Trying to make my misery
just a piece of my history
A little less victim a little more victory
-Icon for Hire

Stats are sourced from Domestic Violence Resource Centre Victoria 

www.dvrcv.org.au

@j95 any form of violence should be taken seriously and respected as something that is totally not okay. It absolutely counts, no matter who the perpetrator is. I am sorry if you have experienced a response that didn't respect that violence is the problem, not who's doing it!