cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [SPECIAL GUEST] Family Dramas

Who's got better ways to ask?!?! i want to hear them! Smiley Happy

What are some ways to ask RUOK? If you think a friend of yours is experiencing family violence?

Ask the question straight-forwardly (although don't barge into it since that could be upsetting and could potentially throw them off or close them off to you) and show that you really will try your best to support them however you can. I feel like the point of RUOK is lost if you ask and then do nothing or back out because you were expecting some fluffy response, but of course you can't help them in every single way, so do what you can to help/support.

Highlighted

What are some ways to ask RUOK? If you think a friend of yours is experiencing family violence?

You can straight up ask them if everything is okay, and if they say everything is fine, reflect back to them any changes in behaviour you have noticed. Even if at the time, they still deny anything is wrong, you have let them know that you care about them and you are willing to be a listening ear.

My entire life can be described in one sentence: It didn't go as planned and that's okay. ツ

some great tips on how to ask a friend if they're ok  -->   https://ruok.org.au/how-to-ask

If you ever need to talk about anything, i am here to listen. 

RUOK? 

I noticed that things seem a little intense at home. Are you ok? 

Do you want to talk ?

I noticed (thing that you noticed). I want you to know that i don't think that's your fault and you shouldn't feel embarrased, if you want to talk about it and need some help feeling safe, i want to help you find people who can help you Smiley Happy  

If you need some hints, we have this awesome fact sheet on how to ask a friend if they are okay.

My entire life can be described in one sentence: It didn't go as planned and that's okay. ツ

asking straight out are you ok is a good way to get a conversation started. be prepared for them to say no, and ask open ended questions to get them to keep talking. Following up is also important, a phone call or a text later in the week can go a long way for somwone feeling down Smiley Happy 

And if your friend doesn't want your help or you just feel helpless, you can get some pointers from this fact sheet.

what if they say they're ok but you know something is going on? i know you dont really want to push it but if you're worried about them...
//You can stay afraid, or slit the throat of fear and be brave//

@j95 maybe just tell them that if they do ever want to talk you'll be there for them. You just leave a line of communication open and they might take it in their own time