cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [SPECIAL GUEST] Feeling anxious?

Whoops, forgot about the question!

How common is anxiety do you think, among young people in Australia?

I think it is SO common, even more so than the stats say. I know so many people who suffer from some shape or form of anxiety, whether it be generalised anxiety, to a form of OCD or a phobia. It's really hard because I often don't know how to help them apart from being there for them and telling them about different services that might be able to help them.

Hey footyfan! thanks for joining us - well said about the diversity... do you think anxiety is common, or uncommon?

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

Hey jay! yep well you are pretty spot on there!!! In fact....
"Anxiety disorders are the most common mental health problems experienced by young people. In Australia, anxiety disorders are estimated to affect about one in every 10 young people aged 18-24 years (1), with the rates higher among young females (14%) compared to males (8%). The most common anxiety disorders reported by young Australians are social anxiety and post-traumatic stress disorder."
(from eHeadspace)

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

Hey everyone Smiley Happy

OK, so to kick things off tonight here is the first question: how common is anxiety do you think, among young people in Australia?

I think anxiety is probably more common than people realise - it is a really debilitating condition but it can be easy to cover up at the same time.

I think thats a very good estimate j95. It is about 1 in 10...

Yep it seems we are all agreeing it's pretty common....

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

woah... what, i swear i didnt cheat and use google for that either
//You can stay afraid, or slit the throat of fear and be brave//

Hi everyone, 

I am new here and it is my first time on the forums, I suffer from social and generalised anxiety. I believe anxiety is more common then people think it is. Probably 1 out of every 10 people, I'd say suffer from anxiety. I have found a lot of people do, espixally some of my close mates who didn't disclose their anixety until I disclosed mine. 

Looking forward for tonight! 

Jess 

You're looking suspicious @j95! Smiley Tongue

You're right florenceforever, often these estimates are under. Unfortunately Anxiety (like a lot of mental health issues) often goes unnoticed.