cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [SPECIAL GUEST] Feeling anxious?

Welcome to ReachOut @anxiousjess0408!

Thanks delicatedreamer, you're right. It is more common that people realise, we often feel so alone in it!

Some people want it to be noticed and it goes unnoticed but sometimes people don't want it to be noticed either because they think it's embarrassing.

Welcome jesseka_grace. You're exactly right in you're answer. Hopefully we can provide some insight for you tonight.

Spot on!

We got SO many anonymous questions submitted to us this month, I'm going to hand over to Alikki to answer some, then we've got another question for all of you....

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

Hey delicatedreamer! Great to see you... and yes, agree on both points... Common and people go to great length to hide it...

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

@FootyFan26 so true!! Sounds like a lot of MH issues to me.
//You can stay afraid, or slit the throat of fear and be brave//

Thanks so much for your questions this month. We received a few questions about university study and work, so I’m going to answer them together… They were:

“I'm studying Psychology and am constantly worried about getting into postgrad. to the extent where I can't even sit down and study because I fear I will fail at the task at hand. What would you suggest I do?” and

“I commonly have anxiety issues that are university related; usually revolving around failure, or incapability. How do you stop such negative thoughts from spiralling out of control and falling victim to them?” and

“I work in a busy restaurant and I become stressed easily. I get triggers from the loud noises, ringing bells and the grind of the coffee machine. My colleagues and managers say I'm always stressed. Do you know of any strategies I could use help me cope?”

My answer:
One of the biggest problems with anxiety is the impact that it has on our day-to-day functioning. When severe enough, it can impact on just about every area of our lives, including our school, uni and work lives. When we are anxious, the part of our brain that does our problem solving and decision making (like you need with school/uni and work) doesn't work as well so we can have trouble concentrating, remembering and focussing, this all leads to more anxiety!!!!!! This part of our brain can be triggered by our thoughts about things.... i.e. if you think "I'm going to fail and its going to be awful", or "I'm such a failure/loser", our brain can think something is really wrong and respond with more depression/anxiety. We need to help our "survival brain" calm down by using things like slow breathing, relaxation and mindfulness, there are apps for this, (I believe ReachOut has some apps now too) this stuff really works!!!! We also need to look at the way your thoughts are going... When you are an anxious person, your thoughts tend to be more worrisome, i.e. "what if this happens... what if that happens". If you really struggle with these things, its best to see a counsellor to help guide you through them.

And now for all of you: tell us, If you had to describe anxiety to someone who had never heard of it before, what would you say?

@FootyFan26, I know that I definetly did not want my anxiety to be noticed and have severe fear around it being noticed, because I thought people would judge me or think of me differently if they see me having a really anxious day or moment. Know though since telling my friends about my anxiety, if I can feel myself getting anxious they can help me through it since I let them know. Smiley Happy