cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [SPECIAL GUEST] Gender

To me gender is how you choose to identify yourself through clothing, acting etc
//You can stay afraid, or slit the throat of fear and be brave//

Hi @j95! YES to self care Smiley Happy

And YES to open text box for the gender question too @Rainbow Lane

No problem @j95 glad you could join us! We're just talking about what gender means to us. What does gender mean to you?

Hmm for me Gender has a lot of different meanings. I guess the one i like the most is that gender is something that you define for yourself in terms of the culture you're in. So different cultures and societies will say different things about a person's gender, and then you as the individual get to make a decision about what you identify or connect with the most. That can change over time and you can also just say "i don't think i fit with any of the definitions I'm making my own one!". 

That's the definition i like the most, but i know that a lot of people aren't even aware that there's anything beyond being male or female or the possibility that you can choose! So there's a sadder definition out there unfortunately. But that's something we can change by talking about it! 

What does the word gender mean to you?

I think it's how you are physically... no, it's what you feel like you are maybe.

I've had sex, sexuality and gender explained to me a million times here and still can't remember it!

Smiley Frustrated Smiley Frustrated Smiley Frustrated

All really great points everyone is bringing up!

And yes @Ben-RO to SO MANY MORE TALKS ABOUT GENDER

Yeah it's pretty complex stuff @FootyFan26 - especially when we get a range of messages from a range of perspectives. The simple explanations I use are:

Sex is about what body we have or our physical self.

Sexuality is who we are attracted to and how we relate to other.

Gender is how we feel as men, women and people, or how we see ourselves

@FootyFan26 Sup! @j95 hope it was some good self care with plenty of couch and doona time! Welcome to the chat Smiley Happy 

Highlighted

... but it's common for people to think of sex and gender as the same thing.

But isn't transgender about your sex???