cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [SPECIAL GUEST] Gender

All good @FootyFan26 ! So glad you could make it Smiley Happy

You're leading us perfectly into our next question:

What’s the difference between sex, sexuality and gender? How are they related to each other?

I see them all connected to relationships, both romantic and not.

It kind of depends who you ask @FootyFan26 and what their definition is. Many trans people need or want to change some of their physiological sex characteristics to match who they are inside in regards to gender.

But being trans is about your sense of self, not about romantic relationships. But you're right that gender is relevant in relationships because of the need to feel like people see and understand you similarly to how you see and understand yourself. When our bodies and how others see us doesn't mathc how we see ourselves in regards to gender, that's what we call 'gender dysphoria'

some people like visual assistance in understanding these things Smiley Happy
Have any of you seen the Genderbread Person or the Gender Unicorn?

Hey everyone Smiley Happy

What does the word gender mean to you? 

It's a tough one for me to answer cause I'm kind of on the fence about how I feel about it.

What’s the difference between sex, sexuality and gender? How are they related to each other?

Sex - based on biology/physiology

Sexuality - what you're attracted to
Gender - ... as per previous question

They're related through cultural norms: it's generally expected that people of a certain sex are the same gender as their sex, and have the same typical sexuality. 

____________________#iftoastershadfeelings____________________

genderbread-person-3.3.jpg

genderunicorn1.jpgThis Puts everything @Dani FC has said into picture form if that makes things easier Smiley Happy

Gender - how you chose to identify yourself
Sexuality - who or what you are attracted to
Sex - what you've got physically

//You can stay afraid, or slit the throat of fear and be brave//
Highlighted

Another of my fave ways to visually go through sexuality, sex and gender is this neat-o 'Queer101' comic by Roostertails Smiley Happy

http://www.roostertailscomic.com/comic/queer-101-third-edition/