cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: [SPECIAL GUEST] Gender

Binary refers to two – so the two legal and commonly recognized genders in our society. If your gender is non-binary, it doesn’t fit into one of the two genders that are commonly accepted.

Thanks, I might call it a night now, finding things very difficult at the moment. Sorry for leaving though, I really feel bad about it...

It's all g @FootyFan26 super grateful for the time you have given us! 

Binary is the two more 'known' terms such as male or female, non binary is everything else. Have I got that right?
//You can stay afraid, or slit the throat of fear and be brave//

for me my non-binary gender is about how my social roles don't relate to the gender binary, my sense of self doesn't relate to traditional concepts of gender, and that fact that I feel more comfortable being perceived as both/neither of the binary genders. eg. I wish I looked more androgynous

Don't feel bad @FootyFan26

Super glad you came Smiley Happy

Yeah all good @FootyFan26. Check out the thread later if you feel like hearing more for the other resources/links I include as we go along Smiley Happy Thanks for joining us Smiley Happy

Sounds like we have the definitions of binary and non-binary covered between us Smiley Happy

Next question: What are some of the challenges a person might face if they are exploring/questioning their gender identity?

There’s a lot of talk about the gender binary and also a lot of talk about people who identify as non- binary. What do these terms mean?

Binary as in 2 options (i.e. you're either a 1 or a 0).

Identifying as non-binary means that whatever your birth sex, you feel as though you're neither completely a 1 or a 0 all the time.

What are some of the challenges a person might face if they are exploring/questioning their gender identity?

- Because gender seems to be a very personal experience, it's something they have to work out for themselves and no one else can tell them the right answer. 

- Disapproval from other people about their chosen gender expression or about revealing their gender identity, or even the fact that they're questioning it.

- Having people question them about gender stuff and feeling like they have to give impromptu mini lessons to heaps of people they meet.

____________________#iftoastershadfeelings____________________

@j95 I reckon your definition works, but just remember that the "known terms" are like the two absolute extremes, everyone else is somewhere in between the two extremes of identifying as all guy or all lady. Hopefully i am helping to make sense!