cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [SPECIAL GUEST] Gender

What advice do you have for a person who might be taking their first steps in transitioning @Dani FC

I would recommend that someone inform yourself, find others who understand what you're going through (online or IRL or both!), be true to who you are, give yourself the time to figure out what things mean for you and what's right for you

Yeah  I think that makes sense. It seems to be more about what suits the person's circumstances and how they feel about different aspects of themselves.

____________________#iftoastershadfeelings____________________

Then start thinking about what you need, want and can start to do to affirm who you are safely. For some people it's to start exploring pronouns or what they wear. For some poeple it's to start an online profile that affirms their gender. For lots of peeps at FC, they start there by having a safe social space to use their preferred name and pronouns and dress how they feel comfortable.

Yeah that totally makes sense @Bay52VU & @Dani FC #beyourself Smiley Happy

Next question then: Addressing gender in social situations can often be tough. What can we do to make sure we are inclusive and make space for all genders?

Maybe pick someone that you feel safe and comfortable to talk to about it and get support from before contemplating telling other people in your life.

Addressing gender in social situations can often be tough. What can we do to make sure we are inclusive and make space for all genders?
Easy first steps can include using gender neutral language such as they/them/their pronouns, saying people/friends/folks/everyone instead of “ladies and gentlemen” etc.

Highlighted

@Dani FC @Rainbow Lane I hear about asking a person what their pronoun is, is there a time when it's good to do that and a time when it's a really bad idea to ask? 

For me, the only time I might not want to be asked my pronoun is in a big group situation as then I might feel pressured. Asking the question itself though, one on one or in small groups I definitely love. I would rather someone ask me, than get my pronouns wrong. then again, if someone did get my pronouns wrong, as long as they correct themself, all good homie! Smiley Tongue

To learn more about using gender neutral pronouns i recommend these resources:

The Ally Project from Victoria, Australia has great resources about how to be an ally to trans and gender diverse people too Smiley Happyallyproject.org