cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [SPECIAL GUEST] Gender

Thanks for joining us @Bay52VU and thanks for answering the questions. I like the point you make about them being related through cultural norms and expectations

They are really cool and simple explanations, I like it
//You can stay afraid, or slit the throat of fear and be brave//

@FootyFan26 Start with a definition for yourself perhaps (you don't have to tell us if you don't want to) thinking about who i am helps me figure out the terms and then I can start thinking about the different variations Smiley Happy Maybe it will help you too!

Figure out where you feel like you fit right now in terms of your

gender identity (so whether you feel like a man, a woman, or something else)

your gender expression- So your appearance 

the sex you were assigned at birth so what's on your birth certificate

who you are (or aren't) physically attracted to 

and who you are (or aren't emotionally attracted to. 

@Dani FC I love how this comic goes through explaining through conversation, It's good to apply stuff to reall life scenarios to get a better understanding

Another aspect related to gender that some people feel is really relevant in their lives (especially trans, gender diverse and gender non-conforming people) is 'perceived gender' which may be influenced by your physiological sex characteristics and/or your gender expression.

One cool way to see how gender is socially contructed is to see that there are a range of gender customs across the world which are neatly illustrated with this fab map

You can watch a short National Geographic clip about one of the examples on the map, from Indonesia in southern Sulawesi here too: 

So can who you are sexually attracted to and who you are emotionally attracted to be different? I don't quite understand how that works
//You can stay afraid, or slit the throat of fear and be brave//

Yeah - for sexuality there are different aspects too @j95 - so romantic attraction might be different from sexual desires and attraction for some poeple

Onto our next question:

There’s a lot of talk about the gender binary and also a lot of talk about people who identify as non- binary. What do these terms mean?

This distinction is particularly important to some asexual and aromantic people which you can find out more about here:

but we digress from gender... Smiley Happy