cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [SPECIAL GUEST] Preventing Suicide: What can you do to help?

Hey @redhead, welcome! I've heard that piece of advice as well, looking out for sudden calm or relief after a long period of sadness or other distress

And now for another question:

You asked: 

I talked to my Sister about how i was feeling and they didn't take me seriously. What do i do now?

Before we hear Kim's answer, we want to know: 

What can we do to help people be more aware that these conversations need to be taken seriously?

What would you say to this person? 

What are some of the things in life that might make a person have thoughts about Suicide? What are some signs or changes in a person that might tell you that it might be a good idea to ask them what’s up?

Heavy question! Umm, I think its really complicated and multi layered but it stems from a deep seated belief that they are truly worthless, inadaquate and that things won't change because it's what they deserve.. i think it can also be a need to escape. I think the idea of escaping - once inception happens sometimes you can't forget about it. I'm not sure if that's a good answer, my knowledge is limited but it is definitely case by case. The belief system is definitely a big part and I think that is something that builds over time.

Signs, behavioural changes - I think this part really depends on your personal relationship with the person. I think the same about the previous question as well. Every time I've intervened and suggested someone get help it has been in a very specific and catered way to that persons personality/nature/past experiences/support systems/resilience and I think that is key in whether they take the help or not.

Welcome @redhead, so good to have you with us!

That is a good piece of advice @redhead and one that I don't think I have heard of.

My entire life can be described in one sentence: It didn't go as planned and that's okay. ツ

hey @Stealth_ninja, awesome contribution, yeah it seems like sometimes people get stuck in a cycle of thoughts and find ithard to break out of this

What can we do to help people be more aware that these conversations need to be taken seriously?

Let them know that you are serious, but also increasing awareness about these problems and how they might present

If I were to ask for help and wanted someone to take me seriously... wow that is really hard.  Right now I think I would say something like 'honestly' or 'not joking' beforehard, but it might change if i were actually in that situation

Maybe broadening the scope of what types of things could lead to suicide or suicidal thoughts? People think suicide is an outcome of depression, but like everyone has mentioned so far there are many things that aren't related to depression that could lead to it. Also providing skills on how a person should respond to someone who expresses suicidal intentions - no one really knows what to do and some people may decide that the person is lying or faking it as a way of avoiding it

Probably that I'm sorry for what this person has experienced, especially from someone so close to them, and probably asking if there were other avenues they could pursue to talk about this and get help? Or provide support services and advice on how to navigate them, along with support

Highlighted

I talked to my Sister about how i was feeling and they didn't take me seriously. What do i do now?

I feel for anyone that tries to reach out and doesn't get taken seriously. What I'd say to you is that the most important thing is to keep trying to find someone who will. Who else do you know that you can trust? Who can help you talk to your sister and your family so they understand what a hard time you’re having and how serious it is? Perhaps a family friend who knows you both? Or a sports coach or teacher? If you don’t feel comfortable talking to anyone like that, give one of the support lines a call to talk about how you’re feeling. They will take you seriously and help you think through how you can keep yourself safe.

You can get through this, you just need to find the right person to listen. They are there for you, you are not alone.

More education around the signs of suicidal thoughts and reminding people that conversations matter all the time and not just on RUOK? Day. One of my biggest pet peeves! Cat Mad

I would encourage this person to seek out the help that they need. Ring the crisis numbers if needed. And just explain to them that not everyone realises the seriousness of these conversations, especially if they have never dealt with something similar before.

My entire life can be described in one sentence: It didn't go as planned and that's okay. ツ

@stonepixie true!!! People only seem to remember on RUOK? Day, but it's not like suicide has a yearly timetable. People should be open to these conversations as they come up, and when they are able