cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [SPECIAL GUEST] Preventing Suicide: What can you do to help?

What can we do to help people be more aware that these conversations need to be taken seriously?

What would you say to this person?

I think any talk of suicide is important to be listened to and taken seriouslyo. I've heard that a majority of people who complete/ attempt suicide usually say something about it.
We should try and help them out, whether its staying with them or maybe taking them to hospital. Never leave someone alone if they mention they are suicidal or have plans.

I would tell the personc to keep reaching out. It can be disheartening if someone doesn't listen and can make things worse. but don't give up.
===========================
Trying to make my misery
just a piece of my history
A little less victim a little more victory
-Icon for Hire

What can we do to help people be more aware that these conversations need to be taken seriously?

take away the stigma and talk about it more. tell people it's a real issue that people face and that anytime anyone mentions it they should take it seriously. suicide's not a joke.

you're not alone - i've been there before and not been taken seriously. don't stop talking to people or telling people. if someone's not being receptive then talk to a third party with the experience to help - like a school counsellor, a gp, a psychologist, someone at a place like headspace, someone on a hotline like lifeline etc. if you can't get people like your family or a friend or whatever to take you seriously, talk to a professional. don't stop talking about it and don't think that one person's reaction means no-one's going to believe you.

Brilliant answers @redhead @synthetica

A similar thing actually happened to me with regard to mental health in general.

Awareness to be is about dialogue amongst families. I think it was hard for me specifically because of the culture I was brought up in. It isn't something that's spoken about and a lot of mental health issues were combatting with religion/meditation/devotion which in our day an age is isn't so - I guess i'm saying it's hard interculturally and intergenerationally.

The conversation has to start at home

I would say that I'm sorry your family doesn't understand but that doesn't mean that your feelings don't matter. They are your truth and your truth matters. I would offer to go with them to seek help if they felt comfortable with me, I would suggest other outlets and I would suggest perhaps seeking support first and then trying with their sister again - even bringing a health professional into the picture sometimes acts as a vehicle for the conversation to happen

so a common theme here seems to be that we need to keep raising awareness and changing the stigma, and to emphasize to the person that they are not alone?

@Stealth_ninja that's a really good point - I guess the conversations people would have in different cultures and generations have to be modified for that context, and there should be space made for people of all experiences and backgrounds to have a say

Yep! I think so @tsnyder! Maybe we need to have a conversation with our forums peeps about how to help with that! 

Okay time for another Question 

You asked: 

"Sometimes i feel like ending my life, but I would never do it. What do i do?"

We want to know: 

Who can a person talk to to get help, where can they go to talk about these feelings? How would you help them start that conversation? 

Highlighted

It's so important it it not to shy away from the conversation. There is this brilliant guide I always refer to if I get a bit tongue tied http://www.conversationsmatter.com.au/ Check it out, some great practical tips for how to start a converastion, how to phrase the tough questions to help people open up to you and get them the support they need

More awareness, everyday, not just at certain times of the year or when someone famous has taken their own life.

keep reaching out, it can be so disheartening when you feel like nobody is listening, believe me I've been there, but keep reaching out, if one person doesn't listen at first keep at it and if you find its just not working go on to the next person or service, somebody will help even if it doesn't seem like it at first. you'll find that its really worth it when you finally get that help and you didn't give up.
//You can stay afraid, or slit the throat of fear and be brave//