cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [SPECIAL GUEST] Preventing Suicide: What can you do to help?

Loving your responses @redhead

Too many people just don't realise how easy it is to help someone who is feeling suicidal.

@redhead wrote:
We should try and help them out, whether its staying with them or maybe taking them to hospital. Never leave someone alone if they mention they are suicidal or have plans.

Just something simple as this can mean the world to a suicidal person, even if they hate you at the time.

My entire life can be described in one sentence: It didn't go as planned and that's okay. ツ

yeah agree with @Stealth_ninja - it's definitely a cultural and intergenerational thing. everything was considered shameful when i was growing up and a lot of stuff like mental health was like, gossiped about in my family, and seen as almost a failure at being a human? which is not true and a horrible way to think. 

someone mentioned their pet peeve being the single-mindedness of RUOK? day which i agree with - i had a friend out of the blue ask me how i was doing when i'd been openly battling mental health issues for months and i was like 'uhhh pretty terrible? obviously?' and it was more annoying than anything.

i think people kind of need to be taught where to go after they ask if someone's okay because people are totally baffled if you're not just like 'i'm fine'.

Who can a person talk to to get help, where can they go to talk about these feelings? How would you help them start that conversation? 

A person could start with a trusted family member, friend, teacher, etc., or go straight to a counsellor or mental health professional. It would help to let them talk as much as they can about it, with maybe some questions or prompting, or helping them to find the words. I guess the important part of the conversation is letting the person tell it as best they can

@synthetica I agree - I can imagine how that must have been for you. I had similar sorts of things re: gossip and like looked down upon?

Somehow in some way it became "inappropriate" to be honest. To speak our truths, so we lie. And then as consumers as well we started expecting other people to lie to us when we ask them how they are. Then it's just this cycle of no-one saying anything because they're so afraid to be vulnerable.

It baffles me.

We want to know:
Who can a person talk to to get help, where can they go to talk about these feelings? How would you help them start that conversation?

There are lots of good helplines out there like lifeline, khl and scbs. You can go to your local hospital.
Non crisis services include headspace, Gp, therapist/counsellor teachers etc.
Just start where you feel comfortable., you could explain how you feel and what you are thinking. Its scary but try to be as honest as possible.
===========================
Trying to make my misery
just a piece of my history
A little less victim a little more victory
-Icon for Hire

Who can a person talk to to get help, where can they go to talk about these feelings? How would you help them start that conversation?

It depends on the person and the situation but for me thinking about suicide and feeling suicidal are two different things. One of them is the thought of what it would be like to end your own life, another is actually contemplating it. Both are to be taken seriously though, obviously.

To start that conversation and find out the direction its going I would just ask what they are thinking about in terms of suicide, do they have an idea or plan? or is it a thought they don't feel they will act on?
//You can stay afraid, or slit the throat of fear and be brave//
Highlighted

@stonepixie wrote:

Loving your responses @redhead

Too many people just don't realise how easy it is to help someone who is feeling suicidal.

@redhead wrote:
We should try and help them out, whether its staying with them or maybe taking them to hospital. Never leave someone alone if they mention they are suicidal or have plans.

Just something simple as this can mean the world to a suicidal person, even if they hate you at the time.

I'd rather somebody hate me and be alive than take their own life. 

//You can stay afraid, or slit the throat of fear and be brave//

Who can a person talk to to get help, where can they go to talk about these feelings? How would you help them start that conversation? 

Of course there are the help lines, such as suicide call back service, but also family, friends, a teacher, a school or university counsellor, here at ReachOut

Perhaps "I need help" or "can you listen for a moment?"

What does everyone else think?

Crisis lines such as lifeline, suicidal call back service, they can talk to their gp about it as well.

If someone wasn't too keen on calling a crisis line, I would definitely make a call with them. You would be amazed at how many people call and hang up. Of course if you want to be more curtious about it, you can just explain to the person on the other end that you are helping someone make their first phonecall to the service.

Also, if they have trouble putting thoughts to verbal communication, there is always the option of writing a letter to discuss the more trickier things.

My entire life can be described in one sentence: It didn't go as planned and that's okay. ツ

here obviously, but also a doctor, a phoneline, places like headspace (some headspaces have doctors where you can get a referral for a mental health plan, some don't so you have to call and check what their dealio is), psychologists, counsellors, etc.

if you need help like RIGHT now, call a phoneline absolutely, either a general one like lifeline or one tailored to the issue you're dealing with right now. ages ago when i was dealing with the fallout of being in a really abusive relationship and feeling suicidal i called a phoneline which focused on domestic violence, and they were amazing to talk to. i've also talked to people via mental health hospitals who've called to check on me daily then weekly to see if i needed to come in to stay. there's heaps of great services out there.

to start the convo: just let it all out and don't hold back. it's confidential, you can go through anonymous services if you want, and whoever you're talking to - remember it's their job to help you. you're not like, wasting their time, or taking time away they could be spending with someone else. they're there for you right now and they can't help if you aren't totally honest with everything, so just... let it out. (tears may occur. dw, they have had people cry before)