cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [SPECIAL GUEST] Preventing Suicide: What can you do to help?

Thank you @j95 for your comment "I'd rather somebody hate me and be alive than take their own life"

If someone is in immediate danger, we need to call emergency services without hesitation and ask for the police. The person at risk may not like you very much at that time but when their life is at stake it has to be done. 

Where can they go to talk about these feelings?

The helplines that everybody has mentioned above such as
-Lifeline
-KHL
-Beyond Blue
- Suicide Call Back
but also helplines that are specific to the issue the person is experiencing such as

1800 Respect
Griefline

But they can also go to their nearest emergency department, doctor, or drop in service.
//You can stay afraid, or slit the throat of fear and be brave//

Yes, @j95, I guess sometimes helping someine stay alive by taking them to a service that can help is much better than not telling anyone and something horrible happening. In my experience, I have been thanked later for helping out even thought the person at the time didn't want help
we are what we repeatedly do - aristotle

Hey @Craycray17

My entire life can be described in one sentence: It didn't go as planned and that's okay. ツ

So many great and really supportive answers! 

Are we ready for the next question? 

You asked:

Someone I know committed suicide but no one really talks about it. I feel like crying all the time, how can I make it stop?

We want to know: 

Is it okay to talk about losing someone to suicide? What sort of support could you offer a person who has experienced this loss? 

Hey @Craycray17!! Welcome Smiley Happy

I've been in that position @Craycray17 where I didn't really want to access supports but in the end I did and I was thankful for the encouragement and (almost) pressure.

Hey @safari93 and @stonepixie! Glad I could make it even thought I'm super late.

That's a really interesting question, @Ben-RO. It's definitely not talked about like non-suicide deaths are. I'm keen to get an answer on this one

Is it okay to talk about losing someone to suicide? What sort of support could you offer a person who has experienced this loss?

My best friends brother, so a good friend of mine too died last year from suicide, so I'll just read everyone else answers for this one...
Highlighted

Exactly @j95. I beleive many people end up being so greatful for that intervention