cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [SPECIAL GUEST] Preventing Suicide: What can you do to help?

Is it okay to talk about losing someone to suicide? What sort of support could you offer a person who has experienced this loss?

I would think it should be okay to talk about, to get a conversation going about what to do and to process the grief and loss involved, among other reasons. From the situations that I've experienced, it's best not to gloss over it or avoid the subject entirely with that person (unless they're specifically looking to you to take their mind off it), and even if you can't find the words at that time, just letting them know you are there to talk to/for support can be a huge help

Is it okay to talk about losing someone to suicide?

Provided that it doesn't go against the culture of said person. I know that it can be difficult, but it is more or less a sign of respect.

What sort of support could you offer a person who has experienced this loss? 

You could let them know that you are a listening ear, that counselling is not just for those that suffer from a mental illness, point them in the direction their local suicide bereavement group. Basically keep making sure that they are okay, as they could be at greater risk of taking their own life.

My entire life can be described in one sentence: It didn't go as planned and that's okay. ツ

Is it okay to talk about losing someone to suicide? What sort of support could you offer a person who has experienced this loss?

When my aunt committed suicide we didn't talk about it, I didn't find out til many years later.
I think not talking about it just adds to the stigma. Losing some is hard but can be worse because of possible guilt and stuff. Be there for people and allow them to talk it through. You could even encourage them to see a counselor if it hit reallyb hard
===========================
Trying to make my misery
just a piece of my history
A little less victim a little more victory
-Icon for Hire

That is okay, just do what is best for you @j95

My entire life can be described in one sentence: It didn't go as planned and that's okay. ツ

I am very sorry for your loss @j95 Smiley Sad

Yes it is okay.  It is a real thing and talking can be very beneficial, especially for closure and support.  Also, sometimes people are waiting for an opportunity to talk about these things, and by initiating it you give them that opportunity.

Of course, we have to be respectful and mindful of others.  For example, if they are finding it too distressing, then it might be a good idea to stop.

In terms out support, being there to listen, making sure they are safe, connecting them with others who have similar experiences, letting them know that they aren't alone, and maybe validating their feelings

First of all I just wanted to take a moment to acknowledge the pain and suffering that suicide brings when it touches our lives. Thank you to all of you for sharing and those of you here on the forum who have also suffered life loss due to suicide.

It is really awkward and sad but the worst thing we can do for a family who has lost someone to suicide is be silent. It is much better to reach out to them and show them you’re there. If you’re worried about saying the wrong thing, just say that. You could say “I can’t imagine what you’re going through and I don’t really know what to say, but I’m here if you want to someone to listen”

Or simply say, “I just wanted you to know that I’m thinking of you and I’m here for you if you want to talk”

Everyone grieves differently so someone people might want to talk a lot and others won’t want to talk to anyone. Just keep checking in with them every now and then so they know you’re supporting them even if you’re not having big chats about it.

Highlighted

People in our Lived Experience Network tell us that this site can be comforting and useful when they are overwhelmed by grief - http://supportaftersuicide.org.au/ - I often offer that to people who have experienced loss as something they can look at in their own time without having to have a long conversation with someone if they're not quite ready.

What i find the be the hardest about this is that often people don't have any idea of what this person must have been going through when they finally did decide to end their life. We always say "commit" suicide like they're committing a crime but they were suffering and when there is loss I think it's important to recognise that.