cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [SPECIAL GUEST] Preventing Suicide: What can you do to help?

@Kimb I love how you have acknowledged that being there for someone doesn't mean we have to say 'i understand' or that we know how they feel.  So often we don't know, and it can be a different experience for everyone

Is it okay to talk about losing someone to suicide? What sort of support could you offer a person who has experienced this loss?

Whatever you do don't avoid the person! It might be hard for you to be there for them if you have no direct involvement or relationship with the person who has died but the worst thing is feeling like everyone is avoiding you. 

//You can stay afraid, or slit the throat of fear and be brave//

yeah @Stealth_ninja I think recently there has been a push away from 'commit' suicide to better alternatives

Highlighted

Exactly @Kimb that's really what I think too. It's a hard conversation, and you may say something awkward, however leaving it silent can make those who arw really suffering feel alone, like everyone else has moved on when really theorist don't know how to bring it up. When a girl in my year level passed away, everyone was sad for a week, but moved on fairly quickly (at least stopped talking about it fairly quickly). Being close with the girl's best friend, she told me after that she had so much trouble accepting the everyone moved on so fast when she was suffering. So it's crucial to take about, and avoiding or ignoring the topic is quite harmful for those close to the victim
we are what we repeatedly do - aristotle

Before we ask the last question for the night, I just want to say thank you to everyone for talking about this with us and for being so incredibly supportive of eachother too Smiley Happy

For our last question tonight, i want to think about how we can help change peoples thinking and work towards preventing suicide. 

What can you do to help spread awareness of how to prevent suicide?

How can you help your friends and family be more aware?

How can you help your community be more aware? 

That's a really good point @Stealth_ninja "What i find the be the hardest about this is that often people don't have any idea of what this person must have been going through when they finally did decide to end their life. We always say "commit" suicide like they're committing a crime but they were suffering and when there is loss I think it's important to recognise that."

We really strongly recommend that people try not to use the word commit at all due to links to judgment whether it is criminal or reglious connotations. It's hard I know because you really naturally default to saying that. But, if you know that using it can make a family feel shame or be a barrier to them seeking help, believe me, you try not to use it.

I think talking about things and removing the stigma is always a great solution.  However, if we continually walk around talking about suicide, it might be a bit much for some people and have the reverse effect. 

So a mix of talking, posters, awareness days, and support is big time.  Also, raising awareness through the media, even social media, can be helpful

Identifying barriers to understanding and awareness could be a good start. Demystifying why people think or want to take their own lives, understanding that it's much more complex and context-dependent than the mainstream narrative says it is. Also bringing forward more stories about suicide could bring a more complex understanding of suidice to the public sphere.

Within our own lives, perhaps providing space for ourselves and others to talk about it, and trying not to contribute to stereotypes or myths in our daily lives. Talking about suicide isn't easy, so taking out the barriers and potential issues can go a long way

What can you do to help spread awareness of how to prevent suicide?

I post a lot suicide awareness related posts on Facebook and stuff. Most people know I've attempted suicide and I'm quite open about it. I try to talk about it to get other people talking about it. I believe if it's talked about it's less likely to be covered in taboo
===========================
Trying to make my misery
just a piece of my history
A little less victim a little more victory
-Icon for Hire

@tsnyder "I think talking about things and removing the stigma is always a great solution.  However, if we continually walk around talking about suicide, it might be a bit much for some people and have the reverse effect."

I think we could balance it by talking more about what keeps us well and safe too. It's about building a more resilient community as well as preventing suicide or responding to crisis.