cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [SPECIAL GUEST] Preventing Suicide: What can you do to help?

Oh hey @j95!! No worries, just post when you can Smiley Happy

How do you make sure someone is okay or safe? 

what are peoples opinions about just asking the person if they will be safe?

Hey everyone!

What are some good ways to start a conversation with someone you're worried about ?

How do you make sure someone is okay or safe? 

Okay, so generally, if they are someone that I know, I would ask them if they are okay. If I'm not happy with the response, I would then tell them that I am worried about them, followed by reasons as to why I am worried. If I am still concerned about them, then there is a chance that I will ask them if they are considering on taking their own life, ask them if they want to talk about what has been going on and generally keep the conversation flowing.

If they were a stranger, I would probably try and complement them on something just to break the ice start talking, sort of like building a rapport with them and asking them if everything is okay and basically following on with conversation as described above.

My entire life can be described in one sentence: It didn't go as planned and that's okay. ツ

Wow, we all took that question as different things, and I think that is really awesome. Smiley Happy

My entire life can be described in one sentence: It didn't go as planned and that's okay. ツ

@tsnyder honestly I'm stil uncertain about this, in that maybe for some people just asking them could be enough, but for other situations it might not be, and there could be other events or factors that could change a person's mindset. Either way maybe it's safest to just prepare for a worst case scenario? Or keep in touch with them? You might still be communicating with them regularly just to provide support for them and be there for them

@stonepixie what if they dont want to talk about whats going on but you know they are still at risk?
just wondering what you would do? Smiley Happy (sorry its a hard one!)

//You can stay afraid, or slit the throat of fear and be brave//

You asked

"How do i start a conversation with a person i am worried about? How do i make sure they are okay?"

Kim answered

A good way to start a conversation like this is to say something like “I’ve been worried about you lately” or “You’ve been acting a bit differently lately and I’m just wondering how you are?”

If you’ve seen them post something on social media, try to encourage a private chat and send them a message with something like “Hi mate, I saw your post on facebook and I’m a bit worried about you. Up for a chat?”

Questions like this let them know that you want them to talk to you – that it’s ok to open up. Sometimes that’s all someone needs to get talking. At that point, you listen without judgment to how they’re feeling.

Open ended questions are great to keep a person talking. You want to avoid just Yes/No answers. So for example, say things like “How long has this been going on?” or “How does that make you feel?” rather that “Has this been going on long?” or “Do you feel upset?”

Keeping them safe is the most important thing. If you think they are in immediate danger, don’t hesitate to call the police and tell them what you know. They might be angry with you but they’ll be alive. If they’re not in immediately danger, try asking them what they need to make sure they’re okay? Who else could they talk to? Maybe you could use a site like this to look at stuff together and sit with them while they call Kids Helpline for a chat or one of the other support lines.

HI everyone, some really good ideas. Really great point about a conversation not necessarily having to be a sitdown conversation - could check in by text or chat. Although would stay away from public chats or group chats as people can be less likely to open up.

@safari93 yeah some people don't want to talk about it.  Perhaps that is where it is important to know a persons characteristics - maybe if they are more withdrawn, then it takes more probing?

Hmm, good questions @j95. I guess I would still try to continue with the conversation, but if they just don't want to talk, then I feel like there isn't much more I personally can do. Perhaps ask if they just want some company, obviously if they have a means and a way and you can't really talk much sense into the person, then emergency services would definitely be called.