cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [SPECIAL GUEST] Preventing Suicide: What can you do to help?

@Ben-RO so it sounds like connecting with the person and encouraging them to talk (with open ended questions) is really important?

Perhaps we should revisit that first question a bit later or in a conversation in the forums! There's a lot to think about and sometimes no easy answers!

This next question is a little bit tough. 

You asked:

“Why do people think about suicide? Why do people attempt suicide?”

Before we share Kim's answer, we want to know:

What are some of the things in life that might make a person have thoughts about Suicide? What are some signs or changes in a person that might tell you that it might be a good idea to ask them what’s up?

jumping on a bit late to the convo buuuuut i'd say like, if your friend stops talking to you or seems withdrawn when you do see them, it's a good time to see what's up? or if you ask them about their interests and they say stuff like 'everything sucks' or 'everything's boring'... i think losing interest in stuff they used to love is a big sign that stuff isn't right.

people can think about suicide for a lot of reasons - it can be sudden or it can be kind of a gear-up to like, a lot of things going bad in a row (the latter has happened to me a few times). it can be a 'straw that breaks the camel's back' kind of thing. i know right now with my studies a lot of students (me included!) are having a really rough time just trying to get all your assignments in and stuff.

What are some of the things in life that might make a person have thoughts about Suicide? What are some signs or changes in a person that might tell you that it might be a good idea to ask them what’s up?

Wow, big question.  I feel like I've heard that thoughts about suicide are quite common, but if I had to guess, suicide would be the result of feeling hopeless and like nothing will ever change.  Sometimes people want their circumstances to change but don't think they ever will, what do other people think?

For signs, someone acting more downtrodden, withdrawn, frustrated/irritated.  Again, this would depend on how they usually are (I feel)

I feel like this is also context-dependent, but maybe if you notice that the person is starting to withdraw socially or is acting differently to what you know or is saying things that might be hinting at suicide? I would generally ask how a person is going if I know that they're going through a tough time, and if it heads towards suicide I would ask about that as well (in a considerating way, of course)

Really good point @synthetica - it's all about noticing the small changes in behaviour

Any life changing moment from death in a family, divorce, struggling with mental health, job loss, money issues, suffering from abuse are all things that may make a person have thoughts about Suicide.

Some signs that a person may give off that they are considering include

• giving away their possessions
  • saying goodbye to people
  • withdrawing from society
  • They are behaving differently than normal.

These are just a few off the top of my head.

My entire life can be described in one sentence: It didn't go as planned and that's okay. ツ

“Why do people think about suicide? Why do people attempt suicide?”

I just wanted to add that in terms of what makes someone suicidal, its really complicated. It’s often never one reason and sometimes we’ll never know. What we do know is that it’s not just about mental illness. The majority of people who are managing a mental illness don’t attempt suicide. It’s often a combination of many thing all piled up at once. It could be a family breakup, or problems at school, a lot of worries. Sometimes, sadly, it’s an impulse decision when someone’s not thinking straight or under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

Sorry I'm latev everyone

hat are some of the things in life that might make a person have thoughts about Suicide? What are some signs or changes in a person that might tell you that it might be a good idea to ask them what’s up?

I agree with a lot of the answers
sometimes it course be that all the sudden someone is sort of happy and relieved after being down for a while, like they are made a plan and feel relieved.
===========================
Trying to make my misery
just a piece of my history
A little less victim a little more victory
-Icon for Hire

What are some of the things in life that might make a person have thoughts about Suicide?

Multiple stressors, whether that be in a row or just lots over a period of time.

What are some signs or changes in a person that might tell you that it might be a good idea to ask them what’s up?
It depends on what  they are normally like but common signs could be
- withdrawing from people around them
- talking about ending things
- giving away possessions (but i feel like this is one that could occur if someone felt suicidal over a long period of time)
- not doing what they used to do

- bypassing support options such as deciding not to contact family, friends, when they start to feel uneasy but instead leaving it until it gets to suicidal thoughts. 

//You can stay afraid, or slit the throat of fear and be brave//