cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: [SPECIAL GUEST] Self injury: riding the wave of distressed emotions

@j95 good question about relationships. i reckon it definitley can be? wonder what @SarahS thinks?

lanejane

Most definitely. There's a sense of "non-derservingness" there isn't there

& @P85C that definitley sounds similar to what sarah has mentioned as a type of non physical self harm... good one.

lanejane

Yes, feeling as though you don't deserve to feel supported by others, so deliberately sabotaging them @j95

@P85C relationships are so important to human kind that feeling undeserving of them could make it easier to isolate, which indeed is a punishment!

Okay, time for question 2! It's kind of related to question 1 but has a bit more on the end. 

Sometimes I play my clarinet until my arm hurts (I have RSI) on purpose, but I don't  do 'typical' types of self injury any more. Is what I do actually self injury? How do I explain it to my psychologist?

Before we share Sarah's answer, what do you think? Is it sometimes hard to start a conversation with a psychologist? And where's the line between self harm and other things? 

@Ben-RO it can be scary bringing things up even with psychologists!

@P85C the only thing that comes to mind is when I lacked the energy and motivation to hang out with others. Do you care to elaborate on what you meant? Am I thinking along the same lines as you? If so, I don't really see it as self-harm, but then again, I could be too close to the issue to distinguish it.

My entire life can be described in one sentence: It didn't go as planned and that's okay. ツ

It is so hard to being these things up with anyone even a paychologist. It definitely takes time, I have been going to mine for months and only recently started getting into some deeper things, so yeah it's real hard and takes a bit!
//You can stay afraid, or slit the throat of fear and be brave//

This question (#2) really stumped me! Again, there are so many different types of self harming behaviours and it's amazing (and scary!) that we find so many ways to adjust these behaviours to our own lifestyle.

I guess when I read the question I wonder if the person is playing the clairinet until their arm hurts to punish themselves in some way... or if playing until their arms hurt make them feel like they have practiced hard? I guess there are lots of variables.

It would definitley be something I'd chat to my psychologist about and see what they thought. Talking to people about stuff helps you to hash it out a bit more! But I know it's not as easy as that sometimes... you might be worried your psychologist thinks its silly or doesn't understand how playing until it hurts makes you feel.

I guess the only way to find out is by trying to talk to them about it! And even just saying exactly what they have said in the question... just out loud to the psychologist!

lanejane