Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [SPECIAL GUEST] Self injury: riding the wave of distressed emotions

Agree with @stonepixie. It is perfectly in your right to change psychologists

Good tip @stonepixie been there, done that
//You can stay afraid, or slit the throat of fear and be brave//

So if the person was doing it to cause pain, rather than just an effect of an intense practice session, would that be self-injury then? Is it intent that makes something self injury? I think lots of people usually think about self injury as the stereotypical stuff, which might make it hard to explain other forms of self injury to anyone, including a psychologist because what if it isn't taken seriously but still causes intense emotions? 

I am quite the opposite @lanejane and @SarahS

I spend a lot of the time leading up to the appointment thinking of all my problems and then as soon as I walk in that door, my mind is blank. It is like some invisible shield has wiped my memory.

My entire life can be described in one sentence: It didn't go as planned and that's okay. ツ

so if we're worried that we might be doing something to hurt ourselves.. or are aware that we keep doing something when it is hurting us (even if its not a "typical" self harm behaviour) then we should think about our reasons for doing it... and maybe even keep track of our thought process as we go?

makes sense to me.

have a shot talking to your psychologist if you can  person who asked this question. Woman Happy i rekon you've got heaps of courage.

lanejane

@MiaMouse1 Yes, if the goal is to feel the pain it is definitely self-injury. If your psychologist doesn't understand that I would be worried! There are SO MANY different ways to self-injure and most psychs have heard of many.

@stonepixie thats the fight and flight response!! Exposing ourselves can be terrifying

I'm getting the impression that we could talk for a little longer about this. I think I'll open a topic after this session so we can identify things we want to keep talking about Smiley Happy

But for now, here's the next question which has a lot to do with disclosure:

I work in trade and there's the whole blokey culture, what am I supposed to say when someone asks me about the scars?
It's clearly self harm scars but if I'm honest about them I'll be disowned and friendless...

If you have scars, how would you start the conversation?

If someone wanted to talk to you about theirs, what would you say? 

This question was quite difficult to answer, because although in an ideal society people wouldn't judge, we certainly do not live in an ideal society. We have to 'play the game' so to speak. It would be very difficult to be open about self-harm in a very blokey culture.

think is a good one for you @j95! you know about blokey culture... ive seen you posting in the man cave!

lanejane