cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [SPECIAL GUEST] Self injury: riding the wave of distressed emotions

@stonepixie I'm exactly the same! I've found that actually writing our little dot points helps my brain not go completely blank!

I guess I'd say that it must have been a really tough time they were going through. Not blame them or say that they shouldn't have harmed themselves. 

@SarahS oh, yes! I've been told I have a hyperactive amygdala, but things are calming down now. Smiley Happy

My entire life can be described in one sentence: It didn't go as planned and that's okay. ツ

@P85C That is a great idea. I must recommend that to my patients

Maybe it would be a good time to talk about other things that people can do to cope with hard times? 

@MiaMouse1 That would be an ideal response! Sounds like you would be awesome for a friend to chat to about it

yeah I have had my fair share of experience with this one cause I work in the same sort of industry. Whenever someone says anything I just play it cool, I'm like "yeah I know they're there... what about them?" or I say "I think it's pretty obvious what they are from so let's just leave it"
//You can stay afraid, or slit the throat of fear and be brave//

If someone wanted to talk to you about theirs, what would you say? 

If someone wanted to talk to me about their scars i'd be completely open to it. I think it's important to maybe thank the person for sharing and say you understand it might be tough to talk about.

Re: this particular question. To be honest, I think everyone knows or knows of someone who has struggled with self harming behaviours. Maybe this blokey culture would be more accepting than he thinks? I know it's easier said than done but I guess you never know.

Maybe you could start by telling someone you are closer to in the group of blokes?

lanejane

@j95 Do your colleagues ask you directly? As in, how did you get those scars? Or are they more indirect? Are they snide? Or genuinely interested?

I just don't find it necessary for people to point out something like that especially at a work place in front of everyone, so stupid.
//You can stay afraid, or slit the throat of fear and be brave//