cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [SPECIAL GUEST] Supporting Survivors (trigger warning: sexual assault)

@Myvo Gosh well said, I couldn't have said it better myself.

Rsg

@Ben-RO no worries I thought it was perhaps too much for a public forum, so thought it may have been edited, don't stress

Yes it is important to look after people Ben. Thanks @Rsg we really do appreciate your input.

Some people can be triggered by hearing other people's experiences.

Highlighted

Unfortunately, society doesn’t do a very good job at supporting survivors most of the time. What do you think needs to be different about society’s attitude towards survivors to change that?

We live in a very hypersexualised society where the objectification of women and men is commonplace and has been for quite some time so first and foremost we need to stand up when others objectify men or women. Schools don't often talk about sexual safety, consent or the trauma that occurs after a sexual assault and I think that needs to change. Mental health is not taken as seriously as physical health and I believe that talking about the mental repercussions of sexual assault is important as to educate others and reduce the stigma that surrounds mental health. 

Thank you for the reply @Rsg! I really didn't want to stress you out or make you feel like what you have to say isn't heaps important! Phew Smiley Happy 

Rsg

@sarcperth I completely understand, sorry to anyone it potentially triggered, the anonymity got the better of me I think

That's the end of tonight's session, you all did really well talking about such a difficult topic Smiley Happy

We have one last question that @sarcperth will be giving some answers for:

Who can you talk to about your experiences if you need more support?

Rsg

I think in society attitudes towards consent are something that definitely needs to be addressed, out of all the high school sex-ed classes I had (I'm a few years out, so my memory isn't perfect) I don't remember a single one addressing consent. Which is quite frightening now that I think about it, in regards to lack of education

Thanks so much to everyone who participated tonight, this was a really great session!

Just want to remind everyone that a list of sexual assault support services can be found here and you can get in contact with 1800 RESPECT to get support over the phone. Please remeber to take care of yourselves Smiley Happy

If you need more support around the emotional side call a help line like 1800 RESPECT, Lifeline, Kids Help Line or your local sexual assault service in your state, like SARC (Sexual Assault Resource Centre) in Perth and see the link ...

http://au.reachout.com/sexual-assault-support