cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [SPECIAL GUEST] Supporting Survivors (trigger warning: sexual assault)

Hello everyone!

Glad to be here tonight Smiley Happy 

This topic can be a pretty tough one to explore, so before we start talking about it, I want to know, what are some things you can do to look after yourself if you’re feeling stressed out or triggered?

I'd say take a step back. It can be a super simple thing to do but also one of the hardest as well. After that, it's up to you. Listen to music, talk to someone in person or over the phone, or go for a walk As long as you're looking after yourself. 

Hello @sarcperth (Karin & Jenny) and @sasperth (Neville) !Smiley Happy

Hey @Myvo!

Definitely agree about taking a step back, sometimes you need to even when it's something you really want to be able to talk about. You're self care ideas are pretty great Smiley Happy

Hi thanks @Chessca_Hgood thought. yes we want everyone to look after themselves. Sometimes this stuff does trigger people. So remember, there is help out there. if you feel that this stuff gets to you a bit, one of the best things you can do is to slow down your breathing. So breathe out more than you breathe in! Slow it down and breathe in the belly rather than in your upper chest. this works a treat to help us self soothe. But if you feel at risk then you can access service where you can talk to somebody about your personal stuff.

http://au.reachout.com/sexual-assault-support  

Take care everone! 

This topic can be a pretty tough one to explore, so before we start talking about it, I want to know, what are some things you can do to look after yourself if you’re feeling stressed out or triggered?

Maybe just taking a break, leave the chat for a bit, having a glass of water and take a few deep breaths
//You can stay afraid, or slit the throat of fear and be brave//

Sounds like a solid plan @j95 Smiley Happy

what if breathing doesn't help and the thoughts just keep coming at you? How do you get the dreams to stay away, even for just a little while.  Thankyou all for this forum 

Rsg

Re: First question...For me the best thing to do when im struggling is to just study. I find that when im fully focused on something else everything is easier.

This topic can be a pretty tough one to explore, so before we start talking about it, i want to know, what are some things you can do to look after yourself if you’re feeling stressed out or triggered?

Well, tonight I am staying at my, err ... I'm staying the night with the guy I am dating at the moment. I've also got my crochetting if things get too bad. Smiley Happy I am super prepared!

So basically, have a support person and activities that you enjoy.

My entire life can be described in one sentence: It didn't go as planned and that's okay. ツ

I tell someone I trust immediately, I use breathing and distraction exercises to calm myself down, once I am in a safe place I remind myself of the people that love me and the amazing life I am living. I tell myself I cam stronger having gone through what I did and it was not my fault.